Aeronautical Miscellaneous
Stock No. 5481
Price = n/a
Sold
City of London 600 Squadron Plaque - Click for the bigger picture

City of London 600 Squadron Plaque

Formed at Northolt in 1925 as a light bomber squadron in the Auxiliary Air Force. Blenheims arrived in January 1939 and was originally intended to operate both in the day and night role. However, the squadron soon adapted to the night fighter role and was one of the first units to use Airborne Interception radar. 600 Squadron served throughout the Battle of Britain flying from Manston, Hornchurch and Redhill. Beaufighters replaced the Blenheims in September 1940 and it continued to operate this type until 1945. With the reactivation of the Royal Auxiliary Air Force, 600 was reformed on 10 May 1946 at Biggin Hill as a day fighter squadron. It was initially equipped with Spitfires followed by Meteors. It was disbanded again on 10 March 1957. 600 is the only squadron in the RAF to have two official badges, this being one of them! The plaque is mounted on a hardwood shield. Some age fading to paint but generally good used condition. Mounting screw hole to font as shown. Shield measures 7” (17 cm)