RAF 79 Squadron Stoneware Tankard by Royal Doulton
79 Squadron were formed in 1917, disbanded in 1919 and reformed in 1937. The squadron received Hawker Hurricanes prior to WWII and took part in the Battle of France. In August 1940 they moved to Biggin Hill and subsequently to Pembry and fought with distinction in the Battle of Britain and throughout WWII. The squadron were disbanded again in 1945. Our tankard is embossed with a Royal Doulton maker's mark to the base which indicates the date of manufacture was sometime between 1923 and 1956. The front carries the RAF crest which is surmounted by a King's Crown and with 79 squadron below. While impossible to give an exact date of manufacture, we believe this to be a period item dating from WWII and would form a fine addition to an RAF or Battle of Britain collection. If only it could talk! Capacity 1 pint.