Aeronautical Miscellaneous
Stock No. 6192
Price = n/a
Sold
267 Squadron Presentation Tankard - Click for the bigger picture

267 Squadron Presentation Tankard

No 267 Squadron was formed at the sea plane station at Calafrana, Malta in 1918, and flew anti-submarine patrols. In WW11 267 reformed at Heliopolis, for local transport duties in Egypt. It used a variety of aircraft for transporting passengers, mail and freight between Egypt and outlying bases. By August 1942, operations extended throughout the Mediterranean area and its role included the movement of personnel and equipment, casualty evacuation and occasional supply-dropping Ops to guerrilla bands in Italy and the Balkans. In 1943 267 moved to Italy and in February 1945 was transferred to India, where it carried supplies during the 14th Army's final offensive that cleared Burma of the Japanese. On 1945 267 reformed at Kuala Lumpur as a transport support and communications squadron in Malaya. It flew Pioneers, Pembroke's and Dakotas. This tankard is embossed to base ‘Malayan Tin’ clearly dates to this period of the Squadrons long history. It is engraved ‘Presented to F/Lt Halliwell By No 267 Squadron Officers Mess 1946’. We purchased this tankard on Anglesey but we have no other specific provenance with it but if any visitors to the site can add any information on F/Lt Halliwell we would be happy to add this to our description The tankard shows minor service wear but is in generally good display condition. It appears to be 1 pint capacity and measures 4 1/2” high (11 cm)