Presentation Bowl named to SS Hobson's Bay
A turned hardwood bowl with brass shield to centre engraved "To Mr & Mrs Hollyoak from his shipmates SS Hobson's Bay 24.8.35". Hobson's Bay was launched in 1921 at 13, 840 tons for the Australia and Commonwealth Line and plied the UK-Australia route. In 1928 she was purchased by the White Star Line, while in 1933 was transferred to the Aberdeen and Commonwealth Line. 1936 saw her renamed SS Esperance Bay and in 1939 she was requisitioned by the Admiralty and served as HMS Esperance Bay, an armed merchant cruiser pennant FY67. In 1941 she was converted to a troop ship. Post war she was returned to her owners, renamed Arawa and was scrapped in 1955. We assume the bowl was given to Mr & Mrs Hollyoak by fellow crew members as a gift, perhaps on leaving the ship or possibly a wedding present. Generally good condition. 10" (26 cm) diameter.