Nautical Miscellaneous
Stock No. 4493
Price = n/a
Sold
W.R.N.S. H.M.S. Ganges Brass Plaque - Click for the bigger picture

W.R.N.S. H.M.S. Ganges Brass Plaque

Dating back to 1866 HMS Ganges became the boys' training ship anchored in Falmouth harbour where she remained until August 1899. In November 1899 HMS Ganges was transferred to Harwich harbour where she remained as a boys' training ship. In 1905 the boys moved ashore for their training, and HMS Ganges became a ‘stone frigate.’ On 6th June 1876 HMS Ganges finally closed with training training transferred to to HMS Raleigh, at Torpoint, Cornwall where it continues to this day. Our research indicates the first contingent of the Women's Royal Naval Service (WRNS) arrived at Ganges during WW1. Sadly we have no provenance with our plaque but it is definitely a one off. Mounted on an oak shield the brass face plate is hand worked with a Royal Naval crown to the top followed by W.R.N.S. and below H.M.S.Ganges in ornate script. Around the outside is a rope device and the brass shield is attached by three screws. The reverse of the shield looks at though it has been wall mounted at some stage. It would be a simple job to fit a wall hook for display purposes. This plaque would be a fine souvenir for anyone collecting WRNS related items or for that matter all those with associations with or memories of with HMS Ganges. Measures 6.75” x 5.5” (18 cm x 14 cm)