Nautical Ship's Fittings
Stock No. 1925
Price = n/a
Sold
Original Library Key from 'RMS Pendennis Castle' - Click for the bigger picture

Original Library Key from 'RMS Pendennis Castle'

One of the most famous passenger vessels of the Union Castle Line, she was built by Harland and Wolff as a replacement for the ageing "Arundel Castle". The ship's keel was laid on 8 November 1955 but the following year Union-Castle merged with Clan Line Steamers Ltd. to form British & Commonwealth Shipping Company. The new management decided to enlarge Pendennis Castle whilst under construction and her length was increased by 18ft. "Pendennis Castle" was launched on n 24 December 1957. "Pendennis Castle", named after the castle of the same name looking over Falmouth bay, served 1959-1976 on a regular route between Southampton to Las Palmas, Cape Town, Port Elizabeth, East London and Durban on what was called "the Cape Mail service". On 23 April 1976 "Pendennis Castle" sailed from Southampton on her final voyage to South Africa. On arrival back in her home port on 14 June 1976 she was withdrawn from service and sold to the Panama registered Ocean Queen Navigation Company and was renamed "Ocean Queen" with the intention to operate her as a cruise ship but this never happened. She was re named Sinbad, then Sinbad I, but she never returned to commercial service and was broken up in Taiwan in 1980. On offer is an original key with a "Union -Castle" Line paper label attached marked "Pendennis Castle" with information confirming the bookcase to which is related in the ships Tourist Library. We have a total of 8 sets available and all with a Union Castle label attached, which show some ageing. The keys about 2 1/4" long (6cm) and show a little rust as you would expect. These keys would provide a unique addition to an "RMS Pendennis Castle"or a "Union-Castle Line" collection or as a souvenir to passengers or crew who sailed on her. The key and label illustrated here is the one you will receive.