full screen background image
Home > New Stock Listing

New Stock Listing

This page lists any stock that has been added in the last 60 days, together with any "Featured" items in stock.
Click any of the headings to see the current stock page for that category.

Reference Stock Item   Description Price
4696 RAF 'B' Squadron Presentation Tankard 1940 with possible CUAS Connections - Click for the bigger picture New Stock RAF 'B' Squadron Presentation Tankard 1940 with possible CUAS Connections - A fine wartime example that clearly has a story to tell! Sadly the provenance has been lost down the years but we have certain clues to go on. On the base rim is embossed 'Mathers & Son Cambridge'. We believe this to be a Cambridge retailer rather than the manufacturer as we have seen clocks with the same name but we could of course be wrong. The base is also stamped 482 followed by a flower shaped device and 1/2 PT indication a half pint capacity. To the front of the tankard is a set of hand engraved RAF Wings surmounted by a Kings Crown and below the wording 'From "B" Squadron March Eights 1940'. Our surmise on this piece is it was purchased by Cambridge University Air Squadron (CUAS) from a local retailer and they had it engraved. The 'March Eights 'that could be a reference to a Cambridge University Rowing Club event and perhaps it was presented as a winner's prize.

Cambridge University Air Squadron was formed in October 1925 and was the first in the country. The University Air Squadrons were an important source for aircrew for the RAF in the pre war years and special concessions were made to members of the University Air Squadrons in the way of seniority if they subsequently joined the RAF. From 1937 members in their third year who were sufficiently proficient could be commissioned in the newly-created RAFVR. Surprisingly all UAS's were disbanded in September 1939 but were reformed again in 1940. The value of these ‘publicly-funded flying clubs’ was demonstrated emphatically by the contribution made by former UAS members to the war effort and during the Battle of Britain when no less than 97 formed part of Churchill’s ‘Few’, with many still wearing their pre war 'badge of honour ' Prestige flying suits.

Suffice to say it is a nice period example with an ornate handle and glass bottom. It is very slightly distorted, as is often the case with tankards that have generally enjoyed a working life, in addition to being a presentation piece. It would no doubt polish up if so required but we prefer to leave it in 'as found' condition and we like to think it may have been used in the smoke filled bar of 'The Eagle', much frequented by RAF and USAAF aircrew in WW1. This unique pub became a favourite haunt for them and many of their signatures remain on the ceiling, a reminder of times gone by and bring back many emotive memories;it is a must do if you should are everin Cambridge and just as important as a visit to Kings College chapel to all those of a certain inclination! If any visitors to the site can add anything in regard to the pewter marks detailed or our surmise on the tankards early history please get in touch and we will add this to our description. This again would make a unique Christmas stocking filler for the aviation collector in your life. Measures c.4" high (10 cm)

£48.00
Stock Enquiry Form
5215a RAF Team Rife Championships Presentation Hip Flask - Click for the bigger picture New Stock RAF Team Rife Championships Presentation Hip Flask - The Royal Air Force Rifle Association was founded in 1921 with the object, as expressed at the time, of ‘promoting interest in small arms shooting for Service purposes by means of individual and collective Competitions. It was renamed in 1946 as the Royal Air Force Small Arms Association. Sadly this one came without any provenance but we are assuming the engraving refers to the RAF Middle East Command where we had a significant presence in the 1930's including Iraq, Palestine and India. The flask has no makers marks but it was clearly presented to the Runners up in an RAF rifle competition back in 1934. The plated metal base cover slides off revealing a glass flask beneath and the top is covered in leather with a viewing slit to check remaining contents. The flask carries a screw top metal stopper and overall it is generally in very sound used condition and would make a great stocking filler for the RAF collector in your life at a modest price. Measures 5.6" high (14.5 cm) £24.00
Stock Enquiry Form
6026 Group Captain L.T.N.Gould MC RFC/RAF Presentation Plaque - Click for the bigger picture New Stock Group Captain L.T.N.Gould MC RFC/RAF Presentation Plaque - An absolutely unique item my own personal collection and now being offered for rehoming for the first time. When purchased back in 2012 it came with no history but fortunately Lionel Thomas Nutcombe Gould is easily researched on line and with the key aspects of his service career vividly hand painted on our plaque it has been simple to corroborate the facts. Young Lionel Gould was born in Alveston, near Stratford on Avon, in 1893 and was educated at Marlborough College and on leaving volunteered for War Service with the Royal Garrison Artillery. In 1915 he was seconded to the Royal Flying Corps, initially as an Observer but subsequently won his coveted RFC Pilots brevet in March 1916. He served initially at Gosport and then on active duty in France from 1915 and by July 1917 he was appointed CO of 21 Squadron. Whilst in France Major Gould was awarded the Military Cross announced in the London Gazette 18 July 1917 with the citation :- "He has done consistent, good, and valuable work while co-operating with the artillery, often under most difficult conditions. He always set a splendid example by his exceptional pluck and determination."

Gould beat the odds and survived the war and in May 1918 he married Barbara Harriet Sperling. He transferred to the fledgling RAF and went on to serve at Worthy Down (1919) Flower Down (1920) Baghdad (1921-22) Delhi & Simla (1923-24) Grantham (1925 & 27) Weston Zoyland (1926 & 27) (our local base just down the road from our HQ), Bicester (1928) Andover (1929) before moving to the Air Ministry 1930-31. He was then promoted to Wing Commander in 1928 with subsequent appointments to command 502 Ulster Squadron, a heavy night bomber Sqn based at RAF Aldergrove, Belfast (1932-33). Further promotion followed to Group Captain and he took command of the School of Naval Cooperation at Lee on Solent (1934-35). He was at Coastal Command (1936-39) then RAF Cranwell (1940-41). The final posting detailed on our plaque was RAF Penrhos (an advanced flying training unit in North Wales) during 1942 and later he served in India, Iraq and in the Air Ministry Signals Branch. Interestingly in 1943 he was given the temporary rank of Commander in the Royal Navy but we have no idea of the background to this and is worthy of further research.

Lionel's s son Auriol Stephen Nutcombe Gould born in Sudbury, Essex in 1922 also became an aviator signing up with the RAF as a pilot in WW2. Sadly on 24 January 1943, flying a Hawker Typhoon of 197 Sqn from RAF Drem it crashed Queenside Hill, south west of Glasgow and he was killed aged just 21. The Father outlived the son and Group Captain Gould retired from the RAF after the War but in 1947 lady luck finally left his side. It is recorded in January 1947 he visited his brother, Commander JC Gould of the Royal Navy, at his home in Radlett, Hertfordshire. The very next morning after his arrival his brother found him dead in a gas filled room. It was suggested that a gas pipe had become disconnected as he tried to light the fire but who can tell the reason for his tragic demise. He is buried in Fulbeck Churchyard in Lincolnshire and not far from RAF Cranwell where he also served in the early years of WW11; his wife was much later buried beside him. He was just 54 when he died.

Our plaque is handmade and depicts the RAF eagle to the centre surmounted by a Kings Crown. In diamond shaped form it is made from solid oak using two pieces cemented together and carries a brass hanging plate to the reverse. The scrollwork either side clearly details all his significant service appointments and we can only assume this was made up and presented to him as a memento of his RFC/RAF service when he finally retired. The edge of the plaque is bevelled and is picked out in red, white and blue although the paint here is now showing its age. The rest of the scrollwork is remarkably bright and we would imagine it was treasured by this great aviator as a reminder of his very significant service career. It measures 9"x 9" (23 cm x 23 cm) and I will be sad to see this piece of history go but it will undoubtedly sit happily in a top end RFC or RAF collection. An ideal solution would be for it to be reunited and displayed with Group Captain Gould's impressive medals, wherever they may now be.

£225.00
Stock Enquiry Form
6711 Supermarine Spitfire Trench Art Ashtray - Click for the bigger picture Reserved Supermarine Spitfire Trench Art Ashtray - A beautifully worked example featuring the iconic Spitfire, banking to port and pole mounted above an alloy ashtray. The model has clearly been hand worked and whilst generally an accurate depiction the starboard wing trailing edge shows minor inconsistencies that just adds to the charm. The ashtray is interesting made from cast alloy and we assume made up using scrap aviation metals recovered at the time and features three dished supports to hold burning cigarettes. You can almost smell the 'Craven A' or 'Senior Service'!

Sadly the history behind this emotive item has been lost down the years but without a doubt it would have a story to tell. This would make an ideal stocking filler for the aviation collector in your life and a real one off! Spitfire wingspan 6" (15 cm) and diameter of ashtray 4.5" (11.5 cm)
 
Reference Stock Item   Description Price
6264 RAF PRU Aircraft Camera Control Box Type 35 - Click for the bigger picture New Stock RAF PRU Aircraft Camera Control Box Type 35 - With official designation 'Control Box Type 35 Stores reference 14A/2206' it was designed to work in conjunction with the F24 camera, first introduced in 1925 and used by British and Allied armed forces during WW11 and post war. We are advised, with information provided by the Imperial War Museum, these units were designed by the Eastman Kodak Company, Rochester, New York.

The F 24 was installed in a wide variety of fighters and bomber aircraft including the PRU Spitfire, the Lancaster and the Mosquito. It was set up to work on the "robot" principle. When the pilot or bomb-aimer presses a button, the rest can be safely left to the T.35 control unit, an ingenious device which can control a whole series of operations—from a 500 exposure reconnaissance requiring exposures at regular intervals, to the synchronisation of the flash explosion of bomb bursts during an operation.

The instrument itself looks to be in good used condition and the original grey paintwork shows wear commensurate with light service use. The top dial can be set to the interval in seconds for the exposures from 5 to 50 seconds The bottom dial controls the number of exposures with a scale from 1 to 125. The unit is marked 24 volts and whilst not dated we believe this to be from the late WW11 period or early post war as the T.35 remained in use until the mid-1950’s when it was fitted to such aircraft as the Canberra. Whilst we are offering as a collectable and can’t guarantee it still works it looks to be in first class condition. The Photo Reconnaissance Unit of the RAF is often undervalued but the PRU boys carried out a critical function often in unarmed aircraft. This controller would make a wonderful addition to a specialist or general RAF collection. Box measures 8"x 4.5" x3" (20cm x 11cm x7.5cm) The unit weighs 1.8 kilos unpacked so please check for a delivered price before ordering!

£75.00
Stock Enquiry Form
6710 RAF Original Snail Whistle - Click for the bigger picture New Stock RAF Original Snail Whistle - A very clean issued example with clear embossing with King's Crown, AM, 23/230 and on reverse 293/14/L1795. Minimal wear to chrome and overall nice original condition and good working order! We have found it very effective here in the office in terminating the nuisance phone calls we are all sadly inundated with these days!

The suspension loop is still attached and these were often hung from the collar loop of aircrew battledress or from Mae West lifejackets. A small but indispensable rescue aid that must have saved the lives of many downed allied airmen in WW 11. This is a guaranteed period example unlike the many copies now appearing on the market.

£60.00
Stock Enquiry Form
6709 P-39 Airocobra Landing Gear Clutch Lever - Click for the bigger picture New Stock P-39 Airocobra Landing Gear Clutch Lever - The Bell P-39 Airacobra was one of the principal American fighter aircraft in service when the United States entered World War II. It was operated by the USAAF, the Soviet Air Force, the Free French and the RAF and it scored the highest number of individual kills attributed to any U.S. fighter type in the Eastern European theatre.

It is rare to find identifiable crash recovered cockpit parts but this is the exception. The landing gear clutch handle was mounted in a horizontal position on the port side of the cockpit and would have bene operated by the pilots left hand. Sadly the history of the crash site has been lost but the handle and attached gear remains in remarkably good condition with significant amount of the original paint still in place and with the clear lettering to the top of the handle we had no problems identifying the part. It will display well in a collection but if you happen to be rebuilding a P-39 cockpit in your garage this could prove indispensable! Handle measures 3.3" (9 cm)

£35.00
Stock Enquiry Form
6546 RAF Red Star Mk12T Distress Flare Tin - Click for the bigger picture New Stock RAF Red Star Mk12T Distress Flare Tin - This example, which is now empty, would have contained three red star distress flares, designed to be used in conjunction with the standard RAF issue Very pistol and would have been included in both the single seat and multi place dinghy packs of WW11. Whilst the original paint shows some wear and surface rust that is hardly surprising after 73 years but the writing on it is still readable. The top would originally have been taped on to avoid moisture entering and is marked 'Do not remove sealing tape & open until cartridges are required'. The front detail confirms the contents as '3 Cartridges Signal 1" Red Mk12. T.' And 'Lot No' below. The same is written on the reverse side whilst on the side is 'Box No.381. Mk1'. In smaller writing towards the base is written '12MB/45' indicating the tin was made by the British Metal Box Company in 1945. The tin measures 3 1/2" x 2.75" (9cm x 6 cm) and an identical example is illustrated on page 68 of Mick Prodger's excellent Luftwaffe V RAF Flight Equipment reference book. This is example is not in quite such good condition as the one we have just sold and this is reflected in the price.

£35.00
Stock Enquiry Form
Reference Stock Item   Description Price
1925b Original Library Key from 'RMS Pendennis Castle' - Click for the bigger picture New Stock Original Library Key from 'RMS Pendennis Castle' - One of the most famous passenger vessels of the Union Castle Line, she was built by Harland and Wolff as a replacement for the ageing "Arundel Castle". The ship's keel was laid on 8 November 1955 but the following year Union-Castle merged with Clan Line Steamers Ltd. to form British & Commonwealth Shipping Company. The new management decided to enlarge Pendennis Castle whilst under construction and her length was increased by 18ft. "Pendennis Castle" was launched on n 24 December 1957.

"Pendennis Castle", named after the castle of the same name looking over Falmouth bay, served 1959-1976 on a regular route between Southampton to Las Palmas, Cape Town, Port Elizabeth, East London and Durban on what was called "the Cape Mail service". On 23 April 1976 "Pendennis Castle" sailed from Southampton on her final voyage to South Africa. On arrival back in her home port on 14 June 1976 she was withdrawn from service and sold to the Panama registered Ocean Queen Navigation Company and was renamed "Ocean Queen" with the intention to operate her as a cruise ship but this never happened. She was re named Sinbad, then Sinbad I, but she never returned to commercial service and was broken up in Taiwan in 1980.

On offer is an original key with a "Union -Castle" Line paper label attached marked "Pendennis Castle" with information on the reverse side confirming the bookcase to which is related in the ships Tourist Library. We have a total of 7 sets available, all with a Union Castle label attached, which show some ageing. The keys about 2 1/4" long (6cm) and show a little rust as you would expect.

These keys would provide a unique addition to an "RMS Pendennis Castle"or "Union-Castle Line" collection. These are priced at £6.00 individually or we can offer at £5.00 each for a multiple purchase
£6.00
Stock Enquiry Form
Reference Stock Item   Description Price
3115 HMS Galatea Copper Ashtray - Click for the bigger picture New Stock HMS Galatea Copper Ashtray - HMS Galatea was a Cruiser launched in 1934 and weighed 5,220 tons and served with distinction in WW11. Her luck however ran out on 14th December 1942 when she was sunk by torpedoes from U-557 off Alexandrea. Sadly Captain Sim, 22 of his Officers and 447 Ratings were killed. These little trays were offered for sale onboard via the NAAFI shop to serving crew members and were mainly bought as gift for friends and relations back home. This and the rest of the small collection we are listing today are all of the period and would make a great gift for anyone with an association with this fine ship. Measures 4.25" diameter (11.0 cm)

£20.00
Stock Enquiry Form
3114 HMS Exeter Copper Ashtray - Click for the bigger picture New Stock HMS Exeter Copper Ashtray - HMS Exeter was a Cruiser launched in 1929 and weighed 8,390 tons and served with distinction in WW11. She famously took part in 'The Battle of the River Plate' but her luck ran out in 1942 when she was sunk by Japanese dive bombers off Java in 'The Battle of the Java Sea' with the sad loss of 50 crew; a further 150 subsequently lost their lives as Japanese POW's. These little trays were offered for sale onboard via the NAAFI shop to serving crew members and were mainly bought as gift for friends and relations back home. This and the rest of the small collection we are listing today are all of the period and would make a great gift for anyone with an association with this fine ship. Measures 3.65" diameter (9.4cm)

£20.00
Stock Enquiry Form
3112 HMS Devonshire Copper Ashtray - Click for the bigger picture New Stock HMS Devonshire Copper Ashtray - HMS Devonshire was a Cruiser launched in 1927 and weighed 25,750 tons and served with distinction in WW 11 and post war was converted to a cadet training ship & she was finally scrapped in 1954. These little trays were offered for sale onboard via the NAAFI shop to serving crew members and were mainly bought as gift for friends and relations back home. This and the rest of the small collection we are listing today are all of the period and would make a great gift for anyone with an association with this fine ship. Measures 3.65" diameter (9.4cm)

£20.00
Stock Enquiry Form
3110 HMS Revenge Copper Ashtray - Click for the bigger picture New Stock HMS Revenge Copper Ashtray - This tray seems to relate to the Battleship HMS Revenge launched in 1915 and weighed 25,750 tons. and took part in both the Battle of Jutland and operation Overlord in WW11 and was scrapped in 1948. These little trays were offered for sale onboard via the NAAFI shop to serving crew members and were mainly bought as gift for friends and relations back home. This and the rest of the small collection we are listing today are all of the period and would make a great gift for anyone with an association with this fine ship. Measures 3.75" diameter (9.5cm) £20.00
Stock Enquiry Form
3108 HMS Sheffield Copper Ashtray - Click for the bigger picture New Stock HMS Sheffield Copper Ashtray - This tray seems to relate to the first Royal Navy ship to be named, HMS Sheffield, a Cruiser of 9,100 tons launched in 1936. Here fittings were made from stainless steel rather than brass and as a result she was always known as 'The Shiny Sheff'! She survived WW11 and was not broken up until 1967. Sadly the next ship to carry this name was lost to an Exocet in the Falkland's war in 1982. These little trays were offered for sale onboard via the NAAFI shop to serving crew members and were mainly bought as gift for friends and relations back home. This and the rest of the small collection we are listing today are all of the period and would make a great gift for anyone with an association with this fine ship. Measures 3.75" diameter (9.5 cm)

£20.00
Stock Enquiry Form
3106 HMS Nelson Copper Ashtray - Click for the bigger picture New Stock HMS Nelson Copper Ashtray - HMS Nelson was a Battleship of 33,500 tons launched in 1925, serving throughout WW11 with distinction and won Battle Honours for MALTA CONVOYS 1941-42, NORTH AFRICA 1942 -43, MEDITERRANEAN 1943, SICILY 1943 -,SALERNO 1943, NORMANDY 1944. Having survived that lot she was finally broken up in 1949. These little trays were offered for sale onboard via the NAAFI shop to serving crew members and were mainly bought as gift for friends and relations back home. This and the rest of the small collection we are listing today are all of the period and would make a great gift for anyone with an association with this fine ship. Measures 3" diameter (7.4 cm) £20.00
Stock Enquiry Form
3104 HMS Raleigh Copper Ashtray - Click for the bigger picture New Stock HMS Raleigh Copper Ashtray - Six Royal Navy ships have carried the name HMS Raleigh and of course the current shore station at Torpoint. It is our feeling this tray relates to the Cruiser launched in 1919 and which was subsequently run aground in thick fog off the cost of Labrador in 1922 and was lost together with 11 of her crew. Her Master was subsequently charged with negligence. It may of course relate to the shore station but we believe the Cruiser mentioned is the more likely candidate. These little trays were offered for sale onboard via the NAAFI shop to serving crew members and were mainly bought as gift for friends and relations back home. This and the rest of the small collection we are listing today are all of the period and would make a great gift for anyone with an association with this fine ship. Measures 3 1/2" diameter (9.0cm) £20.00
Stock Enquiry Form
3105 HMS Cornwall Copper Ashtray - Click for the bigger picture New Stock HMS Cornwall Copper Ashtray - HMS Cornwall was a Royal Navy Cruiser launched in Davenport in 1926 of 9,800 tons. She served in WW11 until sunk by Japanese aircraft in the Indian Ocean on 5th April 1942 together with 192 members of her crew. These little trays were offered for sale onboard via the NAAFI shop to serving crew members and were mainly bought as gift for friends and relations back home. This and the rest of the small collection we are listing today are all of the period and would make a great gift for anyone with an association with this fine ship. Measures 3" diameter (7.5 cm) £20.00
Stock Enquiry Form
2419 HMS Fisgard Presentation Paperweight presented to the Controller of the Navy - Click for the bigger picture Reserved HMS Fisgard Presentation Paperweight presented to the Controller of the Navy - HMS Fisgard was a shore establishment (otherwise known to all as a 'stone frigate') of the Royal Navy active at different periods and locations between 1848 and 1983. She was used to train artificers and engineers for the Navy. The name originates from the Leda class frigate, subsequently used as a depot ship and harbour flagship for Woolwich since 1848, and was used to train engineers. The facility closed in 1872 and Fisgard herself was broken up in 1879 but the name lived on as a shore base, subsequently relocated from Portsmouth to Chatham in 1930. The Fisgard facility finally closed in December 1983.

Our presentation brass paperweight dates to this time and is nicely engraved 'Admiral Sir Lindsey Bryson KGB Controller of the navy and is dated 13th August 1983. Admiral Sir Lindsay Bryson rose from modest circumstances to serve in WW11 and subsequently become the first engineer appointed Controller of the Navy, responsible from 1981 to 1984 for the development and procurement of ships and weapons. During the Falklands war, he oversaw the introduction of several urgent operational requirements to bring what was essentially a peacetime service to the peak of fighting fitness. Bryson was appointed KCB in 1981 and retired from the Navy in 1984. He became a Fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society and was the only naval officer to be president of the Institution of Electrical Engineers and he held various post in industry including deputy chairman of GEC-Marconi from 1987 to 1990. Lady Thatcher, who had been so impressed by her encounters with him during the Falklands War, nominated him as Lord Lieutenant of East Sussex and Brighton and Hove. He died in 2005 aged 80.

Research online indicates via the Fisgard Association website the significance of the date on our paperweight 13th August 1983. It was decided to hold an open day to allow former artificer apprentices to visit the establishment one last time before it closed in December of that year. A date was set for the 13th August as the weather was likely to be good and there would still be sufficient serving apprentices left in Fisgard to man the event with the penultimate class, 823 Entry, passing out four days later. Fisgard opened its gates to visitors at 1330 attended by the Guest of honour, Admiral Sir Lindsay Bryson KCB, visitors were free to wander around the establishment. Supper was served in the evening in the Apprentices Dining Hall and Fisgard's bars remained open until 2300; we imagine it was quite a party! Our paperweight was clearly presented to Admiral Bryson on the day and as such remains a unique souvenir of both a great training establishment, with a history stretching back 135 years and a great Naval Officer of our time.

The Latin motto of HMS Fisgard is "Non manibus solum sed corde" which translates to "Not only with your hands but with your heart" and this seems entirely appropriate to Sir Bryson KGB with the casting showing another Knight's arm appearing from beneath the waves with a hammer firmly gripped and about to strike. Base measures 3" diameter (7.75cm) and it stands 3.25" high (8.5cm)

 
Reference Stock Item   Description Price
OC229 Presentation Hip Flask HMS Nile 1945 - Click for the bigger picture New Stock Presentation Hip Flask HMS Nile 1945 -

A WW11 period Royal Navy hip flask fitted with a secured cap to prevent accidental loss on land or at sea! HMS Nile was a 'Stone Frigate' shore base opened in April 1939 and paid off in June 1946 and located at Ras el Tin Point, Alexandria, Egypt and had a large number of personnel on the books, mainly those based in the Eastern Mediterranean. Research indicates Nile was amongst other things a location for Special Forces Ops and in addition we found RAF Aboukir is listed as 'HMS Nile II', based at the old Airport near Alexandria and was used by both the RAF and the Fleet Air Arm.

The flask is of the curved design to fit comfortably in a hip pocket and is made from brass with a silver plated finish. Engraved to the front is 'From F.M.O. Staff H.M.S. Nile 1945'. Sadly no history came with the flask and we can only speculate on the meaning of 'F.M.O.' but at a guess perhaps 'Fleet Maintenance Officer',' Fleet Medical Officer' or even 'Fleet Mail Office'! If any visitors to the site can enlighten us on this we will update our listing. We presume it was given to a member of staff as a leaving present back in ‘45. Generally in good used condition, with a couple of little bumps to front and small wear to plate on base but otherwise we believe good for original purpose. The presentation engraving aside the flask carries no other makers or other marks. This would make a unique Christmas present for anyone who had relations serving with ' HMS Nile ' back in WW11 and certainly not an item to be found elsewhere on the web! Measures 5" x3.5" (13 cm x 9.5 cm).

£42.00
Stock Enquiry Form
2491 Junghan's Radio Room Clock WW11 - Click for the bigger picture New Stock Junghan's Radio Room Clock WW11 - Another interesting ships clock we are listing today. This pattern was in use from 1939-1945 and served with both Kriegsmarine and Civilian vessels of the period. We have also seen similar examples issued to and used by the Bundeswehr post WW11 but our understanding is these tended to be chrome plated whilst this example carries a brass case. We have found an identical example detailed in Ziggy Wesolowdki's excellent reference book on Military Timepieces and also in volume 3 of the book 'Kriegsmarine Uniforms and Traditions'.

Whilst we have not looked inside the case we are told the movement is a Junghan's W146. The silvered dial is not in the best condition but we can decipher the Junghan's star logo below the 12 o'clock position. In addition we can just make out the remains of the green and red diagonal radio silence bars that would have originally have run in the vertical and horizontal positions signifying 3 minute zones when the radio operator would have observed radio silence in case any May Day calls were being broadcasted. The numerals have also become worn and have been touched in by a previous owner. We can find no evidence of a Kriegsmaine property mark being added and whilst this may have been rubbed out we believe this clock was issued to a Civilian vessel in which case this would have been omitted.

When purchased the seller made no mention of any provenance with this clock. However on close inspection we discovered scratched on the back some old and quite crude letter reading 'Franken'. Whilst our research has located a U boat commander, Wilhelm Franken of U- 565 we believe it more likely this clock served on an auxiliary ship of the Kriegsmarine known as a Troßschiffverb. Since Germany in WW11 did not have any overseas bases, naval operations in the North Atlantic required supply ships and tankers called "Troßschiffe". In addition to using former civilian tankers five supply ships, the Dithmarschen class, were built to service warships with fuel, ammunition, general supplies and spare parts. The 'Franken' was one of these and was commissioned in March 1943 and operated in the Baltic Sea, where it supplied the Prinz Eugen and other smaller ships of the German Navy in the last months of the war. She was blown apart and sunk near Hela in April 1945 by the Russian Airforce.

If our clock served on the 'Franken' it had clearly been removed, perhaps for repair, before she was lost. Certainly the age and model of this timepiece all lines up exactly although we have found the same specification also being used in the radio room of U boats, as confirmed by that on the U- 995 which still exists. Whatever the provenance it is a fine and increasingly scarce example of the type that could perhaps be improved if a donor dial could be located or the existing one tidied up a little. It is ticking away happily in our office but as we have no idea when the movement was last checked a service would probably not go amiss. As with all our stock more detailed pictures are available on request. Measured on the back plate the diameter is 7.9" (20.0 cm) and is 3.4" deep (8.5 cm). The brass case has three strong brass lugs for bulkhead mounting.

£450.00
Stock Enquiry Form
OC43 Ships Clock ex S.S. William Pearman - Click for the bigger picture New Stock Ships Clock ex S.S. William Pearman - Another fine marine clock which we are listing today, made by the quality marine instrument maker James Morton Ltd of Sunderland. This company was established by James Morton who was born in 1856 and with the local shipbuilding business close by benefitted from their trade, supplying instruments, binnacles, telescopes and of course quality timepieces. This example is very heavily built and is designed for bulkhead mounting. What makes it particularly interesting it has a riveted plaque to the heavy brass bezel which reads 'S.S. William Pearman 1941-1961'.

We have been able to trace the vessel against nos 168275 and she was a single screw coaster collier of 1,552 tons, built at Burntisland Shipbuilding Company, founded in Scotland in 1918. The keel laid in 1941, she was launched in 1942 and owned by the British Electrical Authority, which subsequently became the CEGB in 1954. The LPC had its own fleet of coastal colliers to deliver coal to its power stations. Several were flatiron ships, built with low-profile superstructures and fold-down funnel and masts to pass under bridges upriver from Tower Bridge on the River Thames to reach Battersea. The William Pearman was one such vessel. The ships built for the LPC were each named after a person, several of whom were very prominent in the history of electrical engineering. The vessel was finally scrapped and broken up in Sunderland in 1961.

Our clock has an attractive rectangular bezel made from solid cast brass that gives it an essentially deco look and the glass is nicely bevelled. The silvered dial carries Roman numerals and is signed to the maker James Morton in two places. It carries the normal fast/slow adjuster and beside an elaborate 'F' and 'S' either side; the clock does not carry have a second hand. As mentioned it was clearly bulkhead mounted when fitted on board and whilst it can be displayed without a mount it would be possible to mount within an appropriate aperture or even a cut out in a stud partition wall. The bezel measures 8.5" x 6.75" and the clock is 3.5" deep (21 cm x 17.5 cm x 9 cm).It weights a substantial 3.1 kilos and was clearly an expensive timepiece in its day. It is ticking away happily on our office wall but we have no idea when it was last serviced and it may be worth the new owner having the mechanism checked. Further detailed pictures available on request. Most ships clocks we get in all have a story to tell this has been mainly lost down the years. We have no such issues knowing where and when this one was made and where it served!

£275.00
Stock Enquiry Form
3309 Lord High Admiral of Great Britain Original Desk Seal with Royal Associations - Click for the bigger picture New Stock Lord High Admiral of Great Britain Original Desk Seal with Royal Associations - If only this one could talk! We have just purchased this seal from a private collector here in the West Country, South West England. Whilst looking like a fairly well used and mundane desk seal we have deciphered the Latin inscription of the seal which reads :- ‘SIGIL:OFFI:MAG:ADMIR:MAG:BR & C’ and enclosed within is the fouled anchor device of the British Royal Navy. In translation the wording reads:- ‘The Seal of the Lord High Admiral of Great Britain’. Further detective work indicates this office of state dates back to 1405 and the Lord High Admiral of England, Great Britain and then the United Kingdom is the titular head of the Royal Navy. Most holders have been courtiers or members of the Royal Family and include the Duke of York, Charles11, King James 11 and Queen Anne. The incumbents were mainly not professional Naval officers and the office of Lord High Admiral remains one of the nine English Great Officers of State. The position has remained extant until finally abolished in 1964 when the functions of the Admiralty were transferred to the Secretary of State for Defence and the ancient title of Lord High Admiral was transferred to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth 11. The Queen held the title for 47 years up until 2011 when she conferred the office upon her husband, the Duke of Edinburgh, as part of the celebrations for his 90th birthday and he remains the current holder. The Queen chose this title to honour her husband with as he served in the Royal Navy during the Second World War, and gave up a promising naval career to support her as consort.

The seal handle is made from an ebonised hardwood and judging from the wear it has had significant usage during its working life, that just adds to its charm. The metal seal remains in perfect condition and is not worn and would work today as well as it has done during a long service life. We would estimate it dates from the first half of the 20th century. Sadly its significant history has been lost down the years but it is probably safe to speculate this modest item has served to seal documents of state over many years and could well have spent its working life at Buckingham Place; we can almost smell the distinctive aroma of hot red sealing wax here in the Oldnautibits HQ today! Certainly a one off item and we are unlikely to ever find another. With a clear connection to the British Royal Family grab it whilst you can! Measures 3.75” (9.5 cm)

£95.00
Stock Enquiry Form
1384 WW1 Convoy or Zig-Zag Clock - Click for the bigger picture New Stock WW1 Convoy or Zig-Zag Clock - Zig-Zag clocks from WW1 are almost impossible to find and even WW2 examples are both scarce and expensive. The last one of these we had in was back in 2004 so it has been a long wait to secure another! We had previously thought the maker was the US based company Seth Thomas but with online research we have located an identical example which was identified by the Royal Navy Submarine Museum at Gosport as being manufactured around 1915 by The Standard Time Watch Company of New York, who traded between 1885-1926.

This rare early example dates from the first part of the 20th century. In WW1 England was suffering huge losses amongst it's merchant fleet due to German submarine actions. It was therefore decided convoys should not sail a straight course and so avoid providing a easy target for German torpedoes. A means had to be found for large convoys to all alter course at exactly the same moment so as to avoid collisions and these clocks were the tools to do it. Secret sealed orders were issued to all the Captains prior to sailing and these gave the exact time when the helmsman should alter course on a predesignated bearing, in unison with the rest of the fleet, often out of vision and without the need to break radio silence or to use Morse signals. The electrical connector on the hand (now absent) would touched the contact on the brass ring attached to the dial and so complete a circuit which sounded a bell at pre-set times. Every time the bell rang the helmsman would change course.

These clock were of basic utility design and made without a bezel or glass exactly as our example. The dial is original, is unnamed and has not been refinished in any way. The metal case has been repainted and has three brass mounting lugs for bulkhead attachment. Three moveable brass contacts remain on the external brass bezel and at the base of the clock are two screw fitted terminals where the bell or buzzer would have been connected. The minute hand carries the remains of the electrical connector whilst the hour and second hands are of standard design. The clockwork mechanism is key wound and is working happily here in the office although we have no record when it was last serviced and it may be wise for a new owner to have this done seeing the age of this timepiece.

As with all our stock feel free to contact us for more detailed pictures and additional information. Whilst we have seen prettier clocks few come with such a story to tell and an extremely rare survivor from a distant war fought on and below the North Atlantic over 100 years ago!

£235.00
Stock Enquiry Form
Prices in UK Pounds - please see our Terms & Conditions
Use this Currency Converter to find the approximate cost in your currency
Pay securely with your Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, Switch, or Solo through PayPal - see our Terms & Conditions
Home | Nautical | Aeronautical | News | Press Releases | About Us | Contact Us | Links
FAQ's | Web Log | Search | Site Map | Privacy | Terms & Conditions
Mr Oldnautibits a chantrybarn production