full screen background image
Home > Nautical > Miscellaneous

Nautical Antiques & Maritime Collectables

Miscellaneous items

NewStock NEW STOCK In Stock IN STOCK Featured FEATURED Sold SOLD Sold - similar available SOLD - similar available  
Reference Stock Item   Description Price
2470 HMS Norfolk Trench Art Spill Holder - Click for the bigger picture New Stock HMS Norfolk Trench Art Spill Holder - HMS Norfolk was a County-class heavy cruiser of the Royal Navy and she served with distinction throughout WW11. She was commissioned on 30 April 1930 and served until 1939 when she returned for a refit. At the outbreak of war Norfolk was deployed with the 18th Cruiser Squadron of the Home Fleet, and was involved in the chase for the German small battleships Gneisenau and Scharnhorst, along with the pocket battleship Admiral Scheer.

In the hunt for the Bismark in 1941 Norfolk was the second ship to sight the German battleship. She and her near sister ship Suffolk continued to trail her whilst the cruisers later joined the battleships Rodney and King George V as part of the force that finally sank Bismarck.

Later that year Norfolk was tasked on Arctic Convoys. in 1943 she was in action against the Scharnhorst and scored three hits on the German ship, and received several 11-in shell hits (all passing through the thin-skinned ship without exploding) in return. Scharnhorst was later caught and sunk by the battleship Duke of York and her escorting cruisers and destroyers.

Her luck held and she survived the war and 1949 was placed in Reserve and finally sold for scrapping in 1950. She proudly served for 22 years, in which time she won Battle Honours for ATLANTIC 1941,BISMARCK 1941,NORTH AFRICA 1942,ARCTIC 1943, NORTH CAPE 1943 and NORWAY 1943.

This piece of trench art is nicely worked and fashioned from a brass shell case and whilst the history has been lost it seems likely this was crafted by a crew member and the donor shell was fired from Norfolk. It carries an applied HMS Norfolk badge to the front and it sits on a turned hardwood base. The top lip has been attractively fluted and it makes a decorative souvenir from a great ship. It measures 5" tall (13 cm) and is 2 1/2" diameter (6cm)

£22.00
Stock Enquiry Form
PC213 Voyage of the 'New Golden Hinde' Parchment Sea Chart 1974 - Click for the bigger picture New Stock Voyage of the 'New Golden Hinde' Parchment Sea Chart 1974 - An intriguing and possibly unique chart showing the intended passage of the full size replica of the new 'Golden Hinde'. She was commissioned by two American businessmen, Albert Elledge and Art Blum, who wished to commemorate the vessel sailed by Sir Francis Drake on his circumnavigation of the globe between 1577 and 1580 and specifically the 400th anniversary of Sir Francis Drake's landing on the west coast of North America in 1579. The ship was designed by Loring Christian Norgaard, a Californian naval architect, who spent three years researching it, drawing on original journals of the crew members and other manuscripts. The building of the ship was given to J Hinks & Son of Appledore, North Devon, using traditional methods and tools. She was named 'The New Golden Hinde' by the Countess of Devon and was launched on 5th April, 1973.

She subsequently sailed out of Plymouth on her maiden voyage in late 1974 via Barbados and transited through the Suez Canal, a facility not available to Sir Francis Drake, but her insurers and we suspect owners would not allow a voyage via Cape Horn as the original vessel was routed 400 years before! She was nearly lost in a hurricane but finally arrived in San Francisco on 8th May 1975 and the skipper and crew were given a hero's welcome by the locals and so achieved their aim of commemorating Sir Francis' proclamation of New Albion at a site believed to have been in northern California in 1579. Since then she has travelled more than 140,000 miles (225,000 km) and has sailed around the world whilst also starring in various movies including 'Shogun' filmed in Japan in 1979, 'Drake's Adventure' and ' St Tinian’s 2: The Legend of Fritton's Gold'. Following numerous adventures worldwide 'The New Golden Hinde' has been berthed since 1996 at St Mary Overie Dock in London although she did sail to Southampton in 2003. She is open to the public as well as hosting a range of educational programmes for school visits and can also be booked for private functions.

Our chart, which shows some age wear and minor fading to the edges, is printed on material which gives the impression of the sail cloth used on treasure maps. It appears to have been produced by Adrian Small and is dated 1973. Our research indicates Captain Small was the Skipper on the maiden voyage. The chart is entitled 'Proposed route of the New Golden Hinde ' and dated 1973 which has been crossed out and changed to 1974. It is dedicated to 'Sid Walker Esq, B.O.J. Surveyor With all Good Wishes ' and signed ‘Adrian Small, Master and dated 28th September 1974’. The voyage chart was discovered in the attic of the Plymouth home of Sid & Sara Walker by the new owners back in 1994. We assume Sid Walker (who was apparently a real character and had metal mooring buoys as garden features at this home) assisted on' the Golden Hinde' project and this chart was presented to him as a form of thanks. It measures 32 1/2" x 21" (83 cm x 53 cm). Having languished in a Plymouth attic for many years this historical artefact is now in need of a new owner to be treasured and displayed as it deserved.

£35.00
Stock Enquiry Form
4767 H.M.S. Hastings Presentation Model Pewter Figurehead - Click for the bigger picture In Stock H.M.S. Hastings Presentation Model Pewter Figurehead - The original figurehead, on which this model is based, is now preserved at Merseyside Maritime Museum. HMS Hastings was built in 1818 as an East Indiaman but was bought by the Royal Navy the following year. A 3rd rater of 74 guns, sailors and marines from Hastings fought Chinese pirates at the Battle of Tonkin River in 1849.

In 1855 she was fitted with screw propulsion and joined the fleet in the Baltic. In 1857 the ship was deployed to Liverpool on coastal defence duties before being transferred to the Royal Naval Reserve to be used as a training ship. She was finally broken up in 1886. Her figurehead depicts Francis Rawden-Hastings, 1st Marquis of Hastings (1754-26) in army uniform and the original was acquired and displayed by C.W.Kellock in their Liverpool offices.

C.W. Kellock & Co. was one of the leading merchant ship brokers and owners in Liverpool in the mid-nineteenth century. The company was established in Liverpool in 1820. In 1864 C.W. Kellock greatly expanded his business and opened an office in London under the management of Charles’ brother W.B. Kellock. Charles W. Kellock retired from the company and died in 1897 but the business continued to operate under the partnership of his two sons. The Liverpool office was closed in 1972, but the London office is still active today.

Our model has survived remarkably well seeing its 96 years and is cast in pewter and mounted on an ebonized wood base, which shows minor wear commensurate with the items age. It was comissionedd to commemorate the centenary of C.W. Kellock & Co, in 1920. It is assumed these models were presented as a corporate gift to customers and associates of the business. The brass plates on the base reads on the front : 'MODEL OF FIGUREHEAD OF H.M.S. HASTINGS. THE LAST OF THE WOODEN WALLS OF OLD ENGLAND. THE ORIGINAL BEING IN THE LIVERPOOL SHIPPING SALEROOM OF C.W. KELLOCK & CO', The plaque on the revere side is etched :'1820 KELLOCKS CENTENARY 1920' sand 'WITH THE COMPLIMENTS OF C.W. KELLOCK & CO. LONDON & LIVERPOOL.' The model stands 7” high (18cm) and the ebonised base is 3 1/2” (9 cm) in diameter and is felt covered.

£138.00
Stock Enquiry Form
2411 RMS Strathmore Toast Rack - Click for the bigger picture In Stock RMS Strathmore Toast Rack - Strathmore was an ocean liner of the Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company (P&O).She was the first of five sister ships in what came to be called the "Strath" class and was launched in 1935. In WW11 she was requisitioned and she served for 9 years as government troopship. She was returned to P & O in 1948 but in 1963 she was sold to the Greek owners and renamed Marianna Latsis. She finally scrapped at La Spezia in May 1969. Our toast rack is marked EPNS on the back and Pat Nos 28880. The base carries a brass and enamel plaque featuring the P & O flag, a kings crown and the ships name RMS Strathmore. minor age wear to chrome but an excellent display item from a famous P & O vessel Measures 4” x 32 at base (9.5 cm x 8 cm) £26.00
Stock Enquiry Form
6028 R.N.A.V. Presentation Chalice won by No1V Battery HMS Avon - Click for the bigger picture In Stock R.N.A.V. Presentation Chalice won by No1V Battery HMS Avon - A silver plate prize goblet marked on base Mappin Brothers 222 Regent Street London ; this predates Mappin & Webb who are not recorded until 1889. The cup is finely worked with a tapered stem is finely engraved on the base 'R.N.A.V. Presented by Lord Ashley for Heavy Gun Firing at Sea Won By No 1V Battery H.M.S.Avon 1884. Gunner Hammond No 8’. Lord Ashley (1801-1885) was Anthony Ashley Cooper 7th Earl of Shaftesbury who had an illustrious career and was a politician, philanthropist and social reformer. This was the fourth “Avon” to serve with the Royal Navy, being a 4-gun twin-screw gunboat, launched at Portsmouth in 1867. She weighed in at 603 tons with a 530 horsepower engine and a maximum speed of 10 knots. She was 155ft long and had a 25ft beam. She was a fine looking transitional ship having both sail and stream power. On August 5th 1873 Parliament passed an Act "to provide for the establishment of a Royal Naval Artillery Volunteer Force" - this was Britain's first truly volunteer naval reserve. The volunteers were unpaid, they had to buy their own uniforms and pay for their own travel and meal expenses; despite this the RNAV attracted many willing volunteers and were recruited from either keen amateur sailors or those who were in the merchant service. The R.N.A.V. was killed by official neglect and was disbanded in 1892, but when it was gone its value was realized and in 1903 the R.N.V.R. was formed to take its place. In view of the fact the RNAV was only in existence for 19 years any relating artefact is now extremely rare and our chalice would sit happily in any serious marine or specialist RNAV collection. HMS Avon had a full an interesting service career, including piracy repression operations, which is all fully documented on line. She was sold out of service in 1890 and broken up at Charlton. Sadly we have no history on Gunner Hammond but if any visitors can add anything on his service career please get in touch. Measures 8” high (19.5 cm) £245.00
Stock Enquiry Form
6364 German Navy Plaque named to Minesweeper 'Koblenz' - Click for the bigger picture In Stock German Navy Plaque named to Minesweeper 'Koblenz' - Formed with an image of the vessel cut in relief from a brass plate and below an engraved plaque in German reading ‘Zur Erinnerung an den Besuch des KM-Bootes Koblenz’. The translation of plaque reads ‘To commemorate the visit of the ship Koblenz’. According to our research the vessel was a Lindau class or type 320 minesweeper pennant nos M 1071 launched in 1957/8. She was then upgraded to a Type 331 mine hunter in the early 1960s. Germany donated Koblenz to the Lithuanian Naval Force in 1999 when she was renamed Sūduvis. The vessel silhouette and plaque are fixed to an oak mount with a wall hanger attached to the reverse. Mount measurements 10” x 7.5”. (25 cm x 19 cm) £38.00
Stock Enquiry Form
OC321 SS Arcadia Ship's Helm Ashtray - Click for the bigger picture In Stock SS Arcadia Ship's Helm Ashtray - Made from cast aluminium with P&O pennant badge to centre. The Arcadia was built for P&O in 1954 and sailed on the Australian run, being scraped in Sydney in 1979. This ashtray would have been sold on board as a souvenir of the trip. In good condition. Measures 6" (16cm) diameter. £25.00
Stock Enquiry Form
5147 HMS Courageous Fire Screen - Click for the bigger picture Reduced HMS Courageous Fire Screen - Made of varnished timber, the front of the screen is dated 1936-39 and carries an image of the ship's crest and motto "Courageux Et Fougueux". HMS Courageous (pennant no. 50) was built as a cruiser in WWI but was decommissioned post war and rebuilt as an aircraft carrier launched in 1928. She was torpedoed and sunk by U-29 off the coast of Ireland on 17th September, 1939 with the sad loss of her captain and 518 of her crew. We had no provenance with the screen but assume it was made by a member of her crew who served on her between 1936 and 1939 and can only hope he was not one of the hands lost when she sank. Measures 25" x 18" (64cm x 46cm) £45.00
Stock Enquiry Form
4037 Royal Navy Trenchart Submarine E44 - Click for the bigger picture In Stock Royal Navy Trenchart Submarine E44 - The sub is manufactured from cast alloy in relief and is mounted on an oval piece of scrap Bakalite or similar material engraved with the submarine designation E44. This submarine was launched in 1916 and was sold out of service in 1921 and we imagine this item was made by a crew member. A fine example of trenchart from the early days of the submarine service. £95.00
Stock Enquiry Form
4549 Early Royal Navy Trenchart Submarine - Click for the bigger picture In Stock Early Royal Navy Trenchart Submarine - Manufactured from scrap brass and is mounted in relief on a hardwood mahogany display board. Sadly we have no information on the hands that made it, or of the submarine which is depicted but in all probability made by an original crew member as a gift. The detail possibly indicates a D class boat which served in WWI but if any visitor to the site can suggest a more accurate identity, please let us know. Board measures 14" x 7" (36cm x 18cm) £95.00
Stock Enquiry Form
4465 Kriegsmarine Silver Cutlery Rest - Click for the bigger picture In Stock Kriegsmarine Silver Cutlery Rest - we understand this tool to have been used in the Officers' Mess for formal meals to enable cutlery to be rested between courses to prevent soiling of the table cloth. We have, however, been unable to positively identify, so if any of our Kriegsmarine collectors can give us confirmation, it would be appreciated. The item is stamped on the base with a fine Waffen Ampt and a large M below. It is also marked with 90 which we believe confirms the grade of silver used and beside this is a maker's mark. In excellent original condition. Price indicated is for the pair. We would be happy to sell a single stand at £55.00 Measures 4.75" (11cm) £100.00
pair
Stock Enquiry Form
3570 H.M.C.S. Naming Ceremony Presentation Award - Click for the bigger picture In Stock H.M.C.S. Naming Ceremony Presentation Award - This item is in the form of a soap stone whale mounted on a hard wood base which is carved with the inscription "Presented to Lady Thomas on the occasion of the naming of H.M.C.S. Victoria 6th October, 2000." H.M.C.S. Victoria (SSK 876) is a long range Hunter Killer submarine and is named after the city of Victoria in British Columbia. She originally served with the Royal Navy as H.M.S. Unseen (S41), between 1989-2000. The soap stone has been used as a carving material for thousands of years and is widely used in Eskimo art. This whale is particularly nicely executed, although he has a minor chip to the tail fluke and fin, so here is your opportunity to purchase a very unique example of fish and chips!! We have no information on Lady Thomas but assume she was probably responsible for the naming of this boat. £75.00
Stock Enquiry Form
3199 Royal Navy Ditty Box - Click for the bigger picture Sold - Similar Available Royal Navy Ditty Box - A pine box which was issued to sailors so as to keep their personal possessions, including letters from home, safe and private. They were all made to a standard design and size. This example carries a brass plate to the front with the original owner's name H. Eldridge. Our research indicates a Herbert Eldridge was a boy first class sailor service no. J/37894 and he served aboard HMS Queen Mary in WWI. He sadly died in action on the first day of the Battle of Jutland on the 31st May, 1916 aged 16. He is remembered with honour on the Portsmouth Naval Memorial. Good original condition but lacking key. 12" (21 cm)
Stock Enquiry Form
2378 Ale House Tankard - Click for the bigger picture Sold - Similar Available Ale House Tankard - Original tankard finely engraved to the front "Ye Olde Boat Inne Alcester." Manufactured in brass, the tankard would have been used in a public house and the engraving would effectively be an early form of property mark to ensure the tankard remained on the premises! It features a hinged lid and the tankard shows minor service wear as you would expect, but overall has great patina and probably dates from the late 19th century.
Stock Enquiry Form
706 Glass Fishing Floats - Click for the bigger picture In Stock Glass Fishing Floats - a selection of early English made exmples finished in green glass. Used to support fishing nets prior to the introduction of plastic floats. PLease note we are now sold out of the rope covered exmples. £10.00
each
Stock Enquiry Form
OC62 Souvenir Tray - Click for the bigger picture In Stock Souvenir Tray - made from aluminium, named to Cunard Adventurer 15cm x 15cm. £3.00
Stock Enquiry Form
694 Chrome on Brass Plaque - Click for the bigger picture Reduced Chrome on Brass Plaque - showing soldier against barbed wire and inscribed: "Comite Reception des Prisonniers de Guerre et Deportes Politiques Seraing Centre" (in Belgium). £20.00
Stock Enquiry Form
OC400 Royal Navy Tin Case named to W.A.Smith Esq R.N. - Click for the bigger picture Sold Royal Navy Tin Case named to W.A.Smith Esq R.N. - We are pleased to offer another interesting case this time made of tin and of Royal Navay origins. It is of the type issued by the Admiralty to store and transport items of clothing and equipment in. Sometimes the shape gives a clue to the original contents, as with say a bicorn hat. In this instance we can only guess at what was stored within as the contents are now missing. The metal case measures 24” x 12” x 5” (61cm x 31cm x 13cm) and in finished in original black paint. It is in generally good original condition with the odd mark to the finish commensurate with age and use.

To the front is a solid cast brass carrying handle that looks as though it too would have originally been painted black but much of the paint has been worn clean through use. The case has the facility to be secured by a padlock and it also appears to have had two additional sliding fasteners to the lid which are now missing. The case also features two smaller metal carry handles at either end. A particularly nice touch is a silvered plaque to the lid that is finely engraved to the original owner ‘W.A.Smith Esq R.N.’ Sadly the details of his service career have been lost down the years. The lid also carries two copper riveted strengthening bars.

Inside the interior metal has been painted in Royal Naval grey ; this again is flaking in places but is clearly the original finish as issued. The item does not carry a date but we would estimate it originates from the late 19th to early 20th century. A modest and utilitarian example of Royal Navy memorabilia but it remains an interesting and decorative example that will appeal to a wide spectrum of collectors.
A Recent Sale
4493 W.R.N.S. H.M.S. Ganges Brass Plaque - Click for the bigger picture Sold W.R.N.S. H.M.S. Ganges Brass Plaque - Dating back to 1866 HMS Ganges became the boys' training ship anchored in Falmouth harbour where she remained until August 1899. In November 1899 HMS Ganges was transferred to Harwich harbour where she remained as a boys' training ship. In 1905 the boys moved ashore for their training, and HMS Ganges became a ‘stone frigate.’ On 6th June 1876 HMS Ganges finally closed with training training transferred to to HMS Raleigh, at Torpoint, Cornwall where it continues to this day. Our research indicates the first contingent of the Women's Royal Naval Service (WRNS) arrived at Ganges during WW1. Sadly we have no provenance with our plaque but it is definitely a one off. Mounted on an oak shield the brass face plate is hand worked with a Royal Naval crown to the top followed by W.R.N.S. and below H.M.S.Ganges in ornate script. Around the outside is a rope device and the brass shield is attached by three screws. The reverse of the shield looks at though it has been wall mounted at some stage. It would be a simple job to fit a wall hook for display purposes. This plaque would be a fine souvenir for anyone collecting WRNS related items or for that matter all those with associations with or memories of with HMS Ganges. Measures 6.75” x 5.5” (18 cm x 14 cm) A Recent Sale
5096 W.R.N.S.WW11 Hand Carved Oak Plaque - Click for the bigger picture Sold W.R.N.S.WW11 Hand Carved Oak Plaque - We have an old friend in the antiques trade who would often describe a special items of stock as ‘a belter’! This hand carve Women's Royal Naval Service oak plaque we feel would fall into this category. This is clearly a one off lovingly carved from a single lump of English oak with the fouled anchor, naval crown and W.R.N.S logo cut in relief. The image is set off by a fine depiction of a little wren sitting astride the anchor ring. What makes this shield even more special is on the back the original owner has cut into the wood the establishments she has served on so we have her complete WW11 postings. Firstly she served on HMS Wasp between August 1942 to November 1944. HMS Wasp was a Coastal Forces shore establishment at Dover during World War II. Then in November ’44 she transferred to HMS Midge where she served until May 1945. Midge was another Coastal Forces base at Great Yarmouth with responsibility for M.T.B’s, Motor gun boats and Mine Layers. Next she served on HMS Westcliffe from May to September 1945. Westcliffe was a Combined Operations Training Establishments in WW2 at Burnham on Crouch mainly holding landing craft which were primarily concerned with preparing allied forces for the amphibious invasion of North Africa and mainland Europe. Her final posting was to HMS Rosneath in September 1945. Rosneath was a secret base in Scotland and was covertly used by the USN even before America joined the war. The base was handed back to the Royal Navy in June ’45 and finally closed in 1948. Our anonymous Wren never engraved when she left what appears to have been her final posting. and sadly as the plaque is not named and the history of the owner has now been lost. It may be possible however with the very specific dates detailed in may just be possible to identify her. She certainly made a very full contribution the Second World War. To conclude as we started the plaque is ‘a belter’ and this unique piece of WW11 history would sit very happily in any WRENS or Royal Navla related collection. Measures 7.5” x 5.75” (19cm x 15 cm.) Please check out the other WRNS brass plaque relating to HMS Ganges we have also just listed on line. A Recent Sale
6082 Royal Navy Ditty Box and Associated Items - Click for the bigger picture Sold Royal Navy Ditty Box and Associated Items - We have had a number of Naval ‘Ditty Boxes’ over the years but in most instances the provenance has been lost. This gorgeous grouping is very much the exception! The ditty box which is of standard pattern and is named to the original owner not once but twice with a brass plaque to front and lid. The set belonged to a Royal Navy Stoker Reginald James Thomas Potter; our research indicates Potter’s official number was K. 65508 and he was a West Country man and was born in Bristol in 1905 and got his final posting in 1994 ages 89 years. He served on HMS Exeter, the Cruiser launched in 1929 and he was clearly serving on her during her world cruise 1933-1936 and as part of the group we have his ‘crossing the line certificate’. Whilst some aspects are a little faded it is very decorative and indicates Potter crossed the Equator for the first time on 24th December 1933. The certificate measures 17 3/4” x 12” (45cm x 30cm) and would perhaps benefit from remounting in a period style frame.

The grouping is completed by a plaque featuring a plated image of the ship, which was contained within the ditty box when purchased. This is inscribed ‘South America 1933-1936’ together with a scroll below detailing the places visited on Exeter’s South American tour. The plaque has a brass desk support to rear and measures 5 3/4” x 3 3/4” (14.5cm x 9.5cm)

Exeter was a very famous ship in the RN and is remembered for taking part in the Battle of the River Plate. She was finally lost in the Battle of the Java Sea on 1st March 1942 in action against the Japanese. We have no idea if Potter was still serving on her then but whatever happened he survived the war and lived into old age. The ditty box is in excellent original condition and the pine has been lightly waxed and polished. Everything inside is as you would expect. The box is of standard form and has the original hinges fitted. It measures 12” x 7 1/4” x 6” (30.5cm x 20cm x 15cm). The lock is still in place although as is normally the case the key is missing but we can supply a suitable non functioning period key for display purposes. An exceptional set which served on an historic WW11 Cruiser with battle honours to match!
A Recent Sale
2678 White Star Line Related Suitcase - Click for the bigger picture Sold White Star Line Related Suitcase - Perhaps the most famous (or infamous) name in shipping the White Star Line (WSL) conjures up images of travel at its most opulent and tragedy at its most dire. The full name of the company was Oceanic Steam Navigation Company or White Star Line of Boston Packets, but was more commonly simply known simply as ‘The White Star Line’. Founded here in the UK in 1845, WSL operated a fleet of clipper ships that sailed between Britain and Australia. The White Star Line was bought by Thomas Ismay in 1868. and his son Bruce took over as company director in 1899 after the death of his father. White Star was one of the first shipping lines to offer third Class accommodation, in addition to First and Second Class.

Rather than compete with the smaller and faster liners belonging to its main rival Cunard, White Star concentrated more on comfort and reliability, rather than just speed. This was demonstrated by the innovative Olympic-class liners, Olympic, Britannic and the ill-fated Titanic, all built by the Belfast shipyard of Harland & Wolff. In 1934, White Star merged with its chief rival, Cunard Line and was operated as Cunard-White Star Line until 1950. Subsequently the Cunard Line operated as a separate entity, but since 2005 has become part of part of Carnival Group.

Our modest suitcase is little more than a large hat box and certainly fits the description of ‘shabby chic’ and judging from the wear shown it is much travelled. Despite this it is however lifted by a number of original and rather special shipping labels. To the handle is attached a fine White Star Line Cabin Class example for the Liverpool Service and further indicating a ‘State Room’ has been reserved in ‘Cabin Class’ and the luggage is ‘Wanted on the Voyage’. The reverse side has sections for the passengers and steamers name, the room number and the port where the luggage is to be landed as well as the foreign address. If this was ever completed the details have now faded. This label was printed in the USA by Dennison. Beside it is a further WSL sticky label, again printed in the USA, which we believe to date from around 1910 and again confirming the case is wanted on the voyage. This one is named to ‘Williams’ and the room number appears to be 6B.Sadly the other details we can no longer decipher. This label is pasted over another but we have no clues to its origins.

On the case end is further adhesive ‘White Star line Wanted on Voyage’ label and again we believe dating to the early 20th century, and pasted over an earlier one below. This has been typed and is named to a ‘Derek Williams’. His cabin number on this occasion was 52 and the voyage was booked to Liverpool and his overseas address is shown as 8, John Street, London, W.C.2. Our research indicates its centrepiece was the Royal Terrace, but was subsequently demolished and John Street and Duke Street now form present day John Adam street. In addition to the initials embossed to the top of the case ‘A.M.’ we have a final label on the handle indicating the case and perhaps its contents was put into store at Bentalls Furniture Depository at Kingston-on Thames on 3rd October 1938. The name on the label is ‘Badcock’ so a further mystery! Bentalls Department Store and Depository opened in 1932 but the site has now been redeveloped and is the location of 'The Bentalls Centre'.

So you will see despite its shabby appearance this small case is of historical interest, dating back it seems to the early 20th century and clearly has a long and interesting story to tell. It appears appears to be made from a leatherette material which shows significant wear and some staining. The brass lock is still working but the key is missing. The interior is lined with green baize and shows age related wear. Elastic luggage retaining straps are still in place. It measures 17” x 14” x 11” (43 cm x 36 cm x 28 cm). The interest in this item is of course in its shipping labels. It may be possible with further research to establish which WSL ocean liners it sailed on but we will leave that to the next custodian. In the mean time it is nice to find a totally original example that has been put away and untouched for close on the last 80 years - as we say in the trade a genuine ‘sleeper’! As with all items on offer feel free to ask for further detailed pictures of the case and its labels.

A Recent Sale
2725 H.M.T.B. 27 Presentation Item - Click for the bigger picture Sold H.M.T.B. 27 Presentation Item - An attractive EPNS preserve set complete with two glass dishes. To the front of the base is finely engraved HMTB 27, presented to Mr. & Mrs. Enever from Mess Mates, November 1917. While we have no direct provenance, we can only assume Mr. Enever was a crew member of Torpedo Boat 27 in WWI and this was perhaps presented by his crew mates on the occasion of his wedding? The base is stamped EPNS, a maker's mark and the number 5778. The chrome finish shows minor age wear, but overall in extremely nice condition. Torpedo Boat 27 was 127 feet long, weighed 60 tons and built by Thornycroft in 1880. She was sold out of service 2.10.19. A Recent Sale
3347 Item 3347 Royal Mail Steam Packet Company Copper Water Jug - Click for the bigger picture Sold Item 3347 Royal Mail Steam Packet Company Copper Water Jug - A fine example clearly embossed to front R.M.S.P. The Royal Mail Steam Packet Company was a British shipping company founded in London in 1839 by a Scot, James MacQueen. The line's motto was ‘Per Mare Ubique’ meaning ‘Everywhere By Sea’. The company had mixed fortunes but by 1927 it became the largest shipping group in the world when it took over the White Star Line (WSL). It was subsequently liquidated and its assets absorbed by the newly formed Royal Mail Lines (RML) in 1932. The companies operations were continued after liquidated by the reformed as the Royal Mail Lines Ltd (RML) and took over the ships of RMSPC and other companies of the former group.

On this basis our jug appears to date from before 1932 with the base stamped with the makers details Henry Wilson and Co Ltd Liverpool. This company were makers of Wilson oil heat boilers and burners, as well as cooking and sterilizing equipment. This firm fitted out major Atlantic ocean-going liners built in the United Kingdom for steam ship companies such as White Star, Cunard, Blue Funnel and Furness Withy. In 1932 they had won the contract to supply the on-board equipment for the "Queen Mary." In February of 1932 the contract for the "Queen Mary" was suspended for a long while and the firm almost closed as a result of the delayed contract and many men lost their jobs.

We bought a pair of these jugs at auction and this is the remaining example, the other already being sold. Sadly the specific provenance of the item has been lost down the years but it would certainly have a story to tell. Condition is excellent but with signs off its life at sea with a small ding in handle but nothing to worry about from a display point of view. Measures 81/2” high (22 cm) and it is 5 3/4” diameter on the base (15 cm)

A Recent Sale
3294 RMSP Copper Jug - Click for the bigger picture Sold RMSP Copper Jug - An original copper jug engraved to the front RMSP (Royal Mail Steam Packet Company) and possibly used on one of the ships of this line for water in a cabin. The base is stamped Best NE and the letter B. It is in extremely good condition and is a very decorative item from this famous line. It is also an excellent size to display at 8.5" (22cm) A Recent Sale
OC336 P & O Ceramic Bowl by Bakewell Brothers Pottery - Click for the bigger picture Sold P & O Ceramic Bowl by Bakewell Brothers Pottery - The Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company, which is usually known as P&O, is a British shipping and logistics company which dates from 1832. In 1837, the company won a contract from the British Admiralty to deliver mail to the Iberian Peninsula and in 1840 they acquired a further tender to handle mail to Alexandria, Egypt. In 1847 P&O entered the (then legitimate!) opium trade. Mail contracts were the basis of P&O's prosperity until the Second World War, but the company also became a major commercial shipping line and passenger liner operator. Our bowl, finished in white glaze carries an ochre, blue and green pattern and the base has a good clear transfer confirming its origins being the Peninsular & Oriental Steam navigation Company. The bowl was made by Bakewell Brothers England who operated from the Britannic Works, Hanley, Stoke- on- Trent from 1927-1943. The bowl is in good used condition with a few age related marks. Measures 9.75” diameter (24cm) A Recent Sale
OC65 Naval Ship's Plaques - Click for the bigger picture Sold Naval Ship's Plaques - All these plaques have now been sold. We do however have other examples just in. Please apply for further details and prices. A Recent Sale
OC99 Set of Royal Navy Ships plaques - Click for the bigger picture Sold Set of Royal Navy Ships plaques - We purchased this set of four shields directly from the family of the Royal Navy Officer who served on the ships HMS Dampier, Scott, Owen and Flamingo during his service career. Dampier was originally named Herne Bay, a bay Class frigate but renamed in 1944 and served as a survey ship. Scott was another survey ship launched 1939. Owen started life as Thurso Bay but renamed Owen in 1944. Finally HMS Flamingo was a sloop launched in 1939 and sold to West Germany in 1959 where she was interestingly renamed Graf Spee! We have displayed these plaques in our own collection since 1999 (in the smallest room in this house!) but after redecoration a new look has been ordered so it is time to re home them. They display so well together so we prefer to leave as a set. Each shield is in oak and measures 7” top to bottom (17 cm) On the back they have a hanging point and all were originally supplied by Horns & Miller Ltd, who were based in Devenport, Plymouth. In good original condition with minor age related wear. A Recent Sale
5099 WW1 RN Submariners Ditty Box with Original Contents - Click for the bigger picture Sold WW1 RN Submariners Ditty Box with Original Contents - Over the years we have purchased a number of ditty boxes but almost always they are empty and more often than not their history has been lost over the years. Here we have the exception that exudes period charm and the full history of the WW1 owner at every turn! It was issued to Able Seaman H.E.Russen who served in WW1 in Submarine service, which in itself makes it a very scarce item indeed. The box is in pitch pine of standard form with a brass plaque to the front stating H.E. Russen as original owner. He was obviously taking no chances as he has written and carved his name/ initials all over the box! It still has the lock fitted but as we often find the lugs have been cut..perhaps when he or others lost the key. The pen compartment and letter bars are in pace and inside is in good issued condition. The contents we found inside are something else! These include a family photographs, his ID disc confirming he enlisted in the R.N.V.R in Bristol and his service number was Z/6664. We also have his service record which shows he served on Victory, Dolphin, and HMS Crescent. His Conduct Sheet indicates he was transferred to submarine K 10. Submariners were 'Volunteers Only' and the class being designated 'K' it was known by her crews as 'K for for Kalamity' or 'K for Killer' and Russen seems lucky to have survived the war! Interestingly his service certificate shows he had a final share of a naval prize fund paid in 1922 & 23. To conclude we also have his birth certificate, named WW1 War and Victory medals, postcards and even an ink stamp engraved H.E.Russen. To conclude the grouping we also have a framed photograph of an Able Seaman with cap band reading H.M.Submarine and on the back an inscription reading:’Ruby’s Dad-Henry Russen'. The is best named ditty box collection we have ever had or are ever likely to have and clearly worthy of further research. A full set of photographs of the box and contents can be supplied on request. The box was purchased in Bristol and we assume consigned by descendants of Able Seaman Russen but what a shame such an archive was not kept and treasured by the family. Box measures 12”x 8”x 6”(30 cm x 20 cm x 15 cm) A Recent Sale
1167 Item 1167 Canadian Pacific Steamships Ltd plates by North Staffordshire Pottery - Click for the bigger picture Sold Item 1167 Canadian Pacific Steamships Ltd plates by North Staffordshire Pottery - The Canadian Pacific Steamship Company was established in 1891 and became one of the many shipping companies operating in and out of Liverpool. The company expanded as people emigrating from Europe to North America provided a larger number of passengers and the company also started holiday cruise business. The company is now called CP Ships and is owned by a German conglomerate. Our two plates are finished in white glaze and the reverse clearly marked with the CPS name and the makers are shown as North Staffordshire Pottery Co Ltd of Cobridge, Stoke –on- Trent who operated from 1940-52 on the Globe Pottery site. 1948 they became part of the Lawley Group but were taken over in 1952 Ridgway Potteries. Both plates are in good original condition and measure 6.5” diameter (15.5 cm) A Recent Sale
2423 Trench Art Ashtray named to Sea Swallow - Click for the bigger picture Sold Trench Art Ashtray named to Sea Swallow - Made from brass, copper and white metal, this is a most attractive example and it features a marine motif to the ashtray section and the ship's name below. We have so far not researched the Sea Swallow, but suspect she was probably a WWII vintage Merchant Navy vessel. A Recent Sale
Prices in UK Pounds - please see our Terms & Conditions
Use this Currency Converter to find the approximate cost in your currency
Pay securely with your Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, Switch, or Solo through PayPal - see our Terms & Conditions
Ship's Fittings | Ship's Lighting | Instruments & Tools | Miscellaneous
Nautical Stock Archive -  1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18
Home | Nautical | Aeronautical | News | Press Releases | About Us | Contact Us | Links
FAQ's | Web Log | Search | Site Map | Privacy | Terms & Conditions
Mr Oldnautibits a chantrybarn production