full screen background image
Search Oldnautibits
 
Home > Nautical > Stock Archive Page

Nautical Stock Archive - Page 2

These are some of the SOLD items that have been listed on our website

There are a maximum of 20 items on each page - our most recent sale is listed first - this is now quite a large reference record. If you have a specific interest, use our keyword search to search the entire stock database.


 Pages -  1 | [ 2 ] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20
21
NewStock NEW STOCK In Stock IN STOCK Featured FEATURED Sold SOLD Sold - similar available SOLD - similar available  
Reference Stock Item   Description
OC326 Decorative Brass Ships Inclinometer - Click for the bigger picture SoldDecorative Brass Ships Inclinometer - These instrument would originally have been mounted in the wheelhouse or bridge of the ship and would indicate to the Master or helmsman the degree of list to port or starboard and so provide a simple but effective method of keeping the ship level when loading cargo or ships stores. The same type of instrument is also used on sailing vessels to enable the skipper to control the list of the yacht to get maximum power, with minimum discomfort, from the sails. Whilst this one clearly has some age, confirmed by the wear to the hardwood display mount, it is a quality reproduction of an original instrument but still makes a very decorative item in a marine themed room or collection. Display mount measures 11.5” top to bottom (29cm) and is 12” wide (30cm.)
2419 HMS Fisgard Presentation Paperweight presented to the Controller of the Navy - Click for the bigger picture SoldHMS Fisgard Presentation Paperweight presented to the Controller of the Navy - HMS Fisgard was a shore establishment (otherwise known to all as a 'stone frigate') of the Royal Navy active at different periods and locations between 1848 and 1983. She was used to train artificers and engineers for the Navy. The name originates from the Leda class frigate, subsequently used as a depot ship and harbour flagship for Woolwich since 1848, and was used to train engineers. The facility closed in 1872 and Fisgard herself was broken up in 1879 but the name lived on as a shore base, subsequently relocated from Portsmouth to Chatham in 1930. The Fisgard facility finally closed in December 1983.

Our presentation brass paperweight dates to this time and is nicely engraved 'Admiral Sir Lindsey Bryson KGB Controller of the navy and is dated 13th August 1983. Admiral Sir Lindsay Bryson rose from modest circumstances to serve in WW11 and subsequently become the first engineer appointed Controller of the Navy, responsible from 1981 to 1984 for the development and procurement of ships and weapons. During the Falklands war, he oversaw the introduction of several urgent operational requirements to bring what was essentially a peacetime service to the peak of fighting fitness. Bryson was appointed KCB in 1981 and retired from the Navy in 1984. He became a Fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society and was the only naval officer to be president of the Institution of Electrical Engineers and he held various post in industry including deputy chairman of GEC-Marconi from 1987 to 1990. Lady Thatcher, who had been so impressed by her encounters with him during the Falklands War, nominated him as Lord Lieutenant of East Sussex and Brighton and Hove. He died in 2005 aged 80.

Research online indicates via the Fisgard Association website the significance of the date on our paperweight 13th August 1983. It was decided to hold an open day to allow former artificer apprentices to visit the establishment one last time before it closed in December of that year. A date was set for the 13th August as the weather was likely to be good and there would still be sufficient serving apprentices left in Fisgard to man the event with the penultimate class, 823 Entry, passing out four days later. Fisgard opened its gates to visitors at 1330 attended by the Guest of honour, Admiral Sir Lindsay Bryson KCB, visitors were free to wander around the establishment. Supper was served in the evening in the Apprentices Dining Hall and Fisgard's bars remained open until 2300; we imagine it was quite a party! Our paperweight was clearly presented to Admiral Bryson on the day and as such remains a unique souvenir of both a great training establishment, with a history stretching back 135 years and a great Naval Officer of our time.

The Latin motto of HMS Fisgard is "Non manibus solum sed corde" which translates to "Not only with your hands but with your heart" and this seems entirely appropriate to Sir Bryson KGB with the casting showing another Knight's arm appearing from beneath the waves with a hammer firmly gripped and about to strike. Base measures 3" diameter (7.75cm) and it stands 3.25" high (8.5cm)

OC420 Royal Navy Lieutenants Working Dress Blouse NO 5B - Click for the bigger picture SoldRoyal Navy Lieutenants Working Dress Blouse NO 5B - A genuine late war/early post war period RN Officers Working Dress (BD) blouse in totally original condition from the small collection we have listed this week. This one carries Lieutenant rank shoulder boards which are laced in place and were made by the top London manufacturer of Joseph Starkey. Whilst the blouse is unnamed the original owner clearly had a 'busy' war and his pin back medal bar is attached showing 1939-45 War Medal, The Atlantic Star, The African Star with rosette (for North African service 1942–43 and awarded for service with the 18th Army Group Headquarters between 15 February 1942 and 12 February 1943 inclusive, for Navy and Merchant Navy personnel in shore service 23 October 1942 to 12 May 1943 inclusive). In addition campaign medals issued for Italy plus the Defence Medal and War Medal 1939-45 which my Dad told me everyone got 'for just turning up'!

In the opening years of the Second World War the Royal Navy refused to adopt battledress for officers aboard ship but despite this Battledress type uniforms were worn by naval officers from 1941, as a non-regulation uniform, sometime utilising dyed army battledress. Finally their Lordships at the Admiralty conceded and authorised officers to wear ‘Working Dress’; they could not bring themselves to call it 'Battledress' as was adopted by both the Army and the RAF. The Working Dress, designated '5A'was immediately popular and officers could either obtain it from the stores or have a set made up by their tailor. It was introduced for wear at sea in preference to the rather formal No. 5 uniform and the design is based on the Army and RAF battledress featuring a short waisted jacket.

This fine example is a development from this and is referred to as a' Number 5B Working Dress Blouse '. It was Introduced in 1944, and saw limited use in the war; it was similar to 5A, except that the buttons on the blouse are of standard design and are fly fronted as opposed to exposed buttons and the waist is closed by means of a short strap and buckle fastening. Our research indicates It was developed for use by the Air Branch aircrew, as they found the exposed buttons on the earlier blouse had a tendency to get caught on pieces of cockpit equipment and a potential risk in the event of a rapid departure from the cockpit! This blouse is neither named or badged so we have no idea to whom it was issued. It does not carry and issue label but the waist band is ink stamped L, a WD arrow and 679 below. Seeing the full medal ribbon it would appear to have been in use in the early post war period. Interestingly it has an inner zipped pocket fitted (zip is marked 'Swift') which also carries a WD and board arrow stamp. We can't establish if this was a standard fitting or a period customisation; if the latter it would have been perfect for aircrew to keep important items secure. No size is marked but it is on the small size but would be perfect on a Fleet Air Arm mannequin. The jacket is in exceptional condition throughout with the fabric in crisp and unstained and amazingly has completely avoided the attention of the dreaded moth. A scarce example that certainly meets the old collectors maxim of 'always buy the best example you can afford'.

OC440 Vintage Mahogany Folding Yacht Table - Click for the bigger picture SoldVintage Mahogany Folding Yacht Table - We have owned and used this little table ourselves for close on 20 years but a new design scheme forces us to reluctantly offer for rehomeing. Whilst its origins are unknown it probably originally served on a yacht or launch where space below decks was at a premium. Our picture shows the top in the extended position and this gives a surface area of 29" x22.75" (74 cm x 58 cm); when the top leaves are closed the top dimensions reduce to a modest 29" x 11.5" (74 cm x 29 cm).In the folded position the top also has lips on either side to prevent items stored on top falling off during passage. It stands 25" high (64 cm) in the opened position.

Finished in a lightly waxed mahogany, the nautical origins are maintained by solid brass butterfly hinges and below the table is a useful storage compartment that would have been entirely practical at sea, when space is always at a premium. The base of the legs have holes drilled where the table would originally have been bolted to the saloon floor. Sometimes on these table the legs also fold in to aid storage when not in use; this is not the case with this one and the legs are fixed in position, which makes it eminently suitable for continued use ashore. We have found it a fine and practical piece of nautical furniture to own and whilst for sale a collectable we see no reason, if you should require a table for use on your classic boat, why it should not again go back to sea.

Please also check out the pitch pine ships table we are also listing today.

1925 Original Library Key from 'RMS Pendennis Castle' - Click for the bigger picture SoldOriginal Library Key from 'RMS Pendennis Castle' - One of the most famous passenger vessels of the Union Castle Line, she was built by Harland and Wolff as a replacement for the ageing "Arundel Castle". The ship's keel was laid on 8 November 1955 but the following year Union-Castle merged with Clan Line Steamers Ltd. to form British & Commonwealth Shipping Company. The new management decided to enlarge Pendennis Castle whilst under construction and her length was increased by 18ft. "Pendennis Castle" was launched on n 24 December 1957.

"Pendennis Castle", named after the castle of the same name looking over Falmouth bay, served 1959-1976 on a regular route between Southampton to Las Palmas, Cape Town, Port Elizabeth, East London and Durban on what was called "the Cape Mail service". On 23 April 1976 "Pendennis Castle" sailed from Southampton on her final voyage to South Africa. On arrival back in her home port on 14 June 1976 she was withdrawn from service and sold to the Panama registered Ocean Queen Navigation Company and was renamed "Ocean Queen" with the intention to operate her as a cruise ship but this never happened. She was re named Sinbad, then Sinbad I, but she never returned to commercial service and was broken up in Taiwan in 1980.

On offer is an original key with a "Union -Castle" Line paper label attached marked "Pendennis Castle" with information confirming the bookcase to which is related in the ships Tourist Library. We have a total of 8 sets available and all with a Union Castle label attached, which show some ageing. The keys about 2 1/4" long (6cm) and show a little rust as you would expect.

These keys would provide a unique addition to an "RMS Pendennis Castle"or a "Union-Castle Line" collection or as a souvenir to passengers or crew who sailed on her. The key and label illustrated here is the one you will receive.

375 Original Cunard/White Star Line steamer Chair - Click for the bigger picture SoldOriginal Cunard/White Star Line steamer Chair - Now these do not turn up very often! On offer is a genuine 'Cunard' embossed vintage steamer chair which we believed dates from the 1930's. The Cunard Line, one of the most famous names in shipping was established 1839 Samuel Cunard, a Halifax shipowner. For most of the next 30 years, Cunard held the Blue Riband for the fastest Atlantic voyage. By the late 1920s Cunard faced new competition from the Germans, Italians and French so in 1934 the British Government offered Cunard loans to finish Queen Mary and to build a second ship, Queen Elizabeth, on the condition that Cunard merged with the then ailing White Star line to form Cunard-White Star Ltd. The Cunard fleet has welcomed the most illustrious members of society on board, and has a guest book which includes everyone from Queen Elizabeth II to Liz Taylor and we can only speculate who may have enjoyed this chair on the sundeck of those Queens of the seas although sadly the provenance of this chair has been lost down the years.

Our steamer in very original condition having been taken back to its original natural wood finish although it has received some light restoration to restore it to display condition. As well as the all-important Cunard branding on the seat back it also carries a brass plaque which would originally have held a name card confirming the passengers entitlement to enjoy it- so no need for any towels to reserve this sun bed from fellow passengers! We believe it is made from oak and is still sound but after all these years it is for sale, like all our stock, as an historical collectable rather than to be used for its intended purpose. A similar but slightly earlier chair, one of the only ones recover from the Titanic disaster, was sold at auction recently for £85,000!! The last 'Cunard' branded chair we saw sold on UK e Bay back in 2012 made £200. Our Cunard/White Star Line example is rather more modestly priced so grab yourself a bargain whilst you can!

2652 'The Handy' Man O'War Garden Chair made by H.Castle & Sons - Click for the bigger picture Sold'The Handy' Man O'War Garden Chair made by H.Castle & Sons - Manufactured from teak, this is a campaign style folding garden chair with an oval brass plaque riveted to the back confirming : "THE HANDY (REG) A PORTABLE FOLDING CHAIR MADE FROM TEAK WOOD FROM OLD NAVY SHIPS BROKEN UP H.CASTLE & SONS MILLBANK SW". Shipbreakers Castle & Sons, who were the largest shipbreakers in England in the Victorian period, are still in business today. They started their shipbreaking business at the Baltic Wharf, Millbank on the Thames in 1838. The firm specialized in the breaking up of wooden warships there; Turner's famous painting entitled “The Fighting Téméraire" shows that ship being towed to Castle's yard on her final journey. It was found by Castle's that reclaimed seasoned timbers from decommissioned wooden warship and especially the oak and teak made an source of material for garden furniture. In 1887 the company furnished the grounds of Buckingham Palace for the garden party held in honour of Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee. In addition Castle's supplied the timber that was reused for other purposes including within the store 'Liberties of London' in 1922 when material recovered from the old training ships 'Impregnable' and ' Hindostan' which were been broken up by them on the Thames was 'repurposed'!

Our chair has clearly been painted at least twice during its life and traces of blue and white can be seen giving it the classic shabby chic look so popular today. The chair folds flat for storage purposes and whilst like all out stock is offered for sale as a collectable it remains in remarkably sound condition despite its age and we estimate it probably dates from c. 1910-1920. With some Castle furniture the plaque also confirmed the Naval ship from which the timbers were recovered but in this instance this is sadly not the case but Castle's records indicate a list of the famous ships from which the Men O’War teak built seats were made was extensive and included famous names such as the 'Colossus', 'Galatea', 'Albion', 'Alexandra ', 'Ajax ' 'Apollo' and 'Arethus'. We can only guess at the origins of our ships timber chair but I remains a fine early example of what we would term 'recycling' but today's trendies refer to as 'up cycling'! The chair is of modest proportions measuring 29" to top of back rest (74 cm) and a 16" (41 cm) seat height. Grab this small but beautifully formed piece of Royal Navy history whilst you can!

OC170 Pair of Original Ships 'Onion' Lamps - Click for the bigger picture SoldPair of Original Ships 'Onion' Lamps - A matched pair in totally original condition. Generally referred to as 'onion lamps' for the very obvious similarity with the shape of the vegetable, these were used for a variety of functions on board ship. Those with clear glass were used below decks for cabin lighting or above deck as anchor lamps whilst examples with coloured glass, as here, were used as navigation lamps strung from the rigging. The wire cage surrounding the globes provided a useful function of protecting the glass from damage by sails of flapping cordage.

Whist the history of this pair is now lost we believe they are probably of European and perhaps French or German origin. We surmise this as the original oil burners are still fitted; one is marked 'Reform-Rund Brenner' which was a German manufacturer base in Berlin whilst the other burner is stamped 'Unis, Paris, France'. Interestingly both the globes have been etched with code numbers 'R*49654' and 'R*49655' which may have identified them to the vessel they served on. The lamps are made from galvanised metal finished in gold paint and come complete with suspension loops. It is nice to find a set of original lamps that have the burners with them but it would be a simple job to wire them up for electricity and without the need to damage them by drilling, which sadly has happend on many of the lamps we see.

Interestingly one lamp is stamped into the metal 'T49654' whist the other is marked 'T49655' so no doubt they came out of the factory at the same time and have always remained together and as a result we prefer to sell as a near matched pair rather than selling individually. They are an impressive size standing c. 22" tall including the extended handle (56 cm) and the diameter measured around the cage is about 13" (33cm). Fine examples of the type on offer at a remarkably modest price!

PC216 Royal Navy ' Sestrel' Marine Compass Mounted on Arm brackets - Click for the bigger picture SoldRoyal Navy ' Sestrel' Marine Compass Mounted on Arm brackets - Discovered in the Naval port of Plymouth, Devon this is a very fine and solidly built marine compass. The edge of the compass, that sits in gimbals, is stamped 'Aft' and below the model number 4176N/6ST.

Interestingly a brass encased lamp holder is mounted above the compass and when illuminated it would have projected a pin prick of light down on the forward lubber line to assist the helmsman on night passage. The lamp is no longer wired although the lamp holder is present and the unit is clearly stamped AP5663 ; AP refers to an Admiralty Pattern hence our deduction this compass was designed for and used on craft of the Royal Navy.

The compass card is generally in very good condition with just some minor paint bubbles to the centre. The card carries the brand name 'Sestrel' indicating it was made by Henry Browne and Son Ltd, of Barking. Henry Browne was born in Lewis, Sussex in 1842 and died in Barking in 1935 and was a respected English manufacturer, making and selling fine quality compasses, ship's clocks, inclinometers, sextants, and chandlery items for over 140 years. The factory was based in Brightlingsea, Essex and moved to Barking in 1929. The Trade Mark brand 'Sestrel' was used on all their equipment. Their “Dead Beat“ compass design is well dampened and serves to reduce oscillations and was fitted to many Allied ships during WW II and we believe this may be the origin of this instrument although it is not dated.. The company went through a boom period in the 1970s but collapsed in the 1980s due to the popularity of cheaper plastic compasses over traditional brass examples as ours.

The card swings feely and appears to align to North, although like all our stock is for sale as a collectable item and we can not guarantee its current accuracy. When purchased it was mounted on a totally inappropriate piece of melamine board. This we have had this replaced with a solid piece of marine mahogany which has been salvaged from a small craft. This has been finished in 5 coats of yacht varnish and the brass has all been hand polished, so that it glows and sets off this top quality Naval compass to its best advantage. It has already drawn attention here in our office since it was returned from our restorers and it would sit very happily in a marine collection or environment. The compass face measures 6" diameter (15 cm) whilst the display stand is about 11.5" x 8" (29 cm x 20 cm). Rubber feet are attached to the base.

5053 White Star Line RMS Titanic & Olympic Regent Plate Dish - Click for the bigger picture SoldWhite Star Line RMS Titanic & Olympic Regent Plate Dish - Manufactured by top London maker Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Company of 112, Regent Street and fully stamped to base which confirms its origins. In addition to the quality makers name it is marked 'Regent Ware' and a further stamp reading 'Rd 451002', which stands for the design registration number which with further research indicates it dates from 1904/5. Inside the bowl is the characteristic swallow tail house flag of the White Star Line. Excitingly we found online an original 'Goldsmiths' advertisement that confirms as well as holding a Royal Warrant 'The Companies Regent Plate, as supplied to SS Olympic and Titanic and is the finest substitute in the World for solid silver.' We understand this actual 'Art Nouveau' design was specifically selected by the WSL for use aboard her Olympic Class liners of the period and examples exist featuring the same pattern recovered from the wreck of the Titanic. The design continued in service exclusively on the Olympic Class vessels but in later years it was extended to other ships in the fleet. When WSL and Cunard amalgamated in 1934 many items were re branded 'Cunard White Star' in 1936 and reissued for further service. This did not happen to our dish so seeing the design registration date it is quite possible this served on the Olympic or Britannic.

The dish measures 5 1/4" diameter (13 cm) and stands 1 1/2" from base to rim (4 cm). The plating is in remarkably good condition with the exception being the inside base which shows wear commensurate with long service. We do not know the intended use but believe this bowl may have been intended for sugar which would explain the scratching to the pate. Another surmise is the design could have been used as a finger bowl but we prefer the first theory. The WSL house flag is in fine condition as are all the manufactures details on the base. Sadly we have no provenance with it other than it turned up at a local antiques fair here in Somerset, South West England. It has almost clearly served afloat and undoubtedly has a story to tell. A fine example of a genuine White Star Line bowl that would have served in the restaurants and of the unique design used aboard the Olympic Class liners including the RMS Titanic and her sister ships RMS Olympic and Britannic.

5147 HMS Courageous Fire Screen - Click for the bigger picture SoldHMS Courageous Fire Screen - Made of varnished timber, the front of the screen is dated 1936-39 and carries an image of the ship's crest and motto "Courageux Et Fougueux". HMS Courageous (pennant no. 50) was built as a cruiser in WWI but was decommissioned post war and rebuilt as an aircraft carrier launched in 1928. She was torpedoed and sunk by U-29 off the coast of Ireland on 17th September, 1939 with the sad loss of her captain and 518 of her crew. We had no provenance with the screen but assume it was made by a member of her crew who served on her between 1936 and 1939 and can only hope he was not one of the hands lost when she sank. Measures 25" x 18" (64cm x 46cm)
4549 Early Royal Navy Trenchart Submarine - Click for the bigger picture SoldEarly Royal Navy Trenchart Submarine - Manufactured from scrap brass and is mounted in relief on a hardwood mahogany display board. Sadly we have no information on the hands that made it, or of the submarine which is depicted but in all probability made by an original crew member as a gift. The detail possibly indicates a D class boat which served in WWI but if any visitor to the site can suggest a more accurate identity, please let us know. Board measures 14" x 7" (36cm x 18cm)
4037 Royal Navy Trenchart Submarine E44 - Click for the bigger picture SoldRoyal Navy Trenchart Submarine E44 - The sub is manufactured from cast alloy in relief and is mounted on an oval piece of scrap Bakalite or similar material engraved with the submarine designation E44. This submarine was launched in 1916 and was sold out of service in 1921 and we imagine this item was made by a crew member. A fine example of trenchart from the early days of the submarine service.
2560 Shipbuilders Block Model - Click for the bigger picture SoldShipbuilders Block Model - A large an impressive ships hull that was purchased from the closing down sale at Mashfod's ship yard at Cremyll, Cornwall in 2003.

The yard at Cremyll has a long and industrious history being established way back in 1774 and in the period 1779 – 1812 was run by John Parkin and they built 28 vessels including several customs cutters, armed privateer boats and smuggling vessels. The Banks family then took control and from 1823 -1852 they built at least 49 vessels many of them schooners for the fruit trade to the Azores and the Mediterranean. In the period 1875 – 1905 they built the first steamboats, the Armadillo and the Shuttlecock for the Cremyll Ferry in the 1880s; by WW11 they received commissions from neighbouring RAF Mountbatten for smaller inshore craft. The Mashford family first leased the yard in 1930 and they soon developed a significant reputation for both quality and design of their wooden boats. During the Second World War some of their work included building small boats for RAF Mount Batten. Mashford Brothers was then acquired by Appledore Shipbuilders in 1999 but their grandiose business plans failed and went into liquidation in 2003 and the assets, including this model, were sold off at auction.

Sadly we have no idea what vessel she represents but was clearly a significant vessel. The hull carries the original grey paint that is showing significant age wear but this reflects the 'chabby chic' look currently favoured by interior designers. We have left it exactly as it came to us but the paint could easily be stripped and the hull waxed and polished but we will leave that decision to the new owners. The deck remains unpainted and carries hatch pencil marks, we assume drawn by the ships architect. We considered for a moment sectioning the model and mounted on appropriate hardwood back it would make not one but two block models but again we prefer to leave it in its original state. It is quite an impressive size measuring 59.5" stem to stern (151cm), a beam of 9" (23cm) and she stands 5" from the base of the hull to her deck (13cm). Despite her history being lost a large and impressive model with loads of display potential.

PC209 Admiralty Pattern Lamp with Metal Shade - Click for the bigger picture SoldAdmiralty Pattern Lamp with Metal Shade - Another lamp we are listing today which originally served with the Royal Navy. It is heavily built in solid brass and is fitted with a metal shade that has been repainted in terracotta to reflect the current demand for industrial themed lighting. In service it would have been bulkhead mounted, but to make it more suited to life ashore we have had a brass base added to the original switch box. It has been professionally rewired using appropriate modern wiring and is fitted with a fused 13 amp plug. The lamp has a ball and socket base to the stem to allow the lamp to be adjusted to suit and it can then be locked in the desired position by tightening the knurled ring. The switch box is marked with the makers name Gabriel & Co Ltd, a brass foundry established 1884 in Birmingham. It carries the Royal Navy Admiralty Pattern part number AP 17010. Gabriels specialised in the manufacture of fittings for ships, tramways, buses and railways and as well as its UK based customers they exported their products to Africa, Asia and South America. It is very solidly built and as such weighs in at an impressive 2.7 kilos (5.8 lbs) so please check for a delivered price before ordering. Measures 16” high (41 cm)
2378 Ale House Tankard - Click for the bigger picture SoldAle House Tankard - Original tankard finely engraved to the front "Ye Olde Boat Inne Alcester." Manufactured in brass, the tankard would have been used in a public house and the engraving would effectively be an early form of property mark to ensure the tankard remained on the premises! It features a hinged lid and the tankard shows minor service wear as you would expect, but overall has great patina and probably dates from the late 19th century.
3570 H.M.C.S. Naming Ceremony Presentation Award - Click for the bigger picture SoldH.M.C.S. Naming Ceremony Presentation Award - This item is in the form of a soap stone whale mounted on a hard wood base which is carved with the inscription "Presented to Lady Thomas on the occasion of the naming of H.M.C.S. Victoria 6th October, 2000." H.M.C.S. Victoria (SSK 876) is a long range Hunter Killer submarine and is named after the city of Victoria in British Columbia. She originally served with the Royal Navy as H.M.S. Unseen (S41), between 1989-2000. The soap stone has been used as a carving material for thousands of years and is widely used in Eskimo art. This whale is particularly nicely executed, although he has a minor chip to the tail fluke and fin, so here is your opportunity to purchase a very unique example of fish and chips!! We have no information on Lady Thomas but assume she was probably responsible for the naming of this boat.
2198 Original Boot Hook with Brass Tip - Click for the bigger picture SoldOriginal Boot Hook with Brass Tip - This particularly attractive example features a double hook end and the casting details the name 'Lugline' which we assume was either the maker or the brand name. The pole, which is made from oak, is c. 78” end to end (198 cm) A fine display item or an ideal accessory for the classic boat in your life!
5353 Siebe Heinke Admiralty Pattern Divers Torch Pattern 0563/202927 - Click for the bigger picture SoldSiebe Heinke Admiralty Pattern Divers Torch Pattern 0563/202927 - Siebe Gorman & Co Ltd have manufactured hand-held battery powered submarine electric torches for divers and the British Ministry of Defence since the 1920's. On offer here is another rare and desirable divers torch we are listing today. Back in 1961, perhaps the two most famous names in diving terms C.E.Heinke and Siebe Gorman merged to form a single company. Research indicates that for just a limited period, torches were made under the combined 'SIEBE HEINKE' brand'. In 1968, the maker reverted to their original name with the inscription of SIEBE GORMAN and the AP (Admiralty Pattern) number was dropped in preference for the NATO reference number, as nicely illustrated on item 4910 we have also just listed on the site. This torch therefore is a scarce and desirable example from this brief period of production as it is clearly branded 'SIEBE HEINKE of London'. Below the switch box and located between the top two knurled grip rings it is further engraved A.P.No 0563/202927 and below the date of manufacture 1964. Unlike the later four prong divers torches this model did not carry a leather wrist strap but instead there is a lanyard hole on a curved metal plate on the end of the torch. Stamped into this plate are several Naval acceptance or inspector’s marks including a large 'X' and a 'D ',a broad arrow property mark and an' E' with a 'T' below.

Inside the torch has a circular rubber 'o' ring seal that is attached to the lamp reflector rim. The seal also isolates the electrical circuit until the slide switch pushes a metal contactor against the reflector casing to complete the circuit. The three ‘D-size’, 1.5 volt dry cell batteries are housed in an internal grey painted aluminium sleeve with a straight coil compression spring at the end to hold them firmly in place. This torch is not currently fitted with batteries so we can't warrant if it is still in working order, but the component parts are all complete and it may still function as intended. The rugged, simple construction of all Siebe Gorman Military issue torches enables them to operate within the depth parameters of most normal Royal Navy diving limits and is safe to operate down to 80 meters. The body is made from high quality brass (probably Admiralty or Naval qualities) and most were electroplated in either chrome or nickel. This example retains its original finish and has not been ruined by stripping as often seems to happen with divers torches.

It is in exceptional original condition with just very minor service marks commensurate with use. The torch measures 11" long (28 cm and the diameter of the lens end is 2.75" (7 cm) It weights a hefty 3.6lbs without batteries (1.7 kilos). This is the first example of a 'SIEBE HEINKE of London' variant torch we have ever had in and do not anticipate it will be with us for long. As with all our stock feel free to drop us a mail and request for more photographs so you can check out the detail and specification. This is one not to be missed!

4461 8 Spoke Ships Wheel - Click for the bigger picture Sold8 Spoke Ships Wheel - This is a very sound original example. We believe it to be made from oak and is very solid. It is fitted with a chrome ‘lazy handle’ so we guess is it may have came from a working boat. The central boss is solid brass (or might even be bronze) and is stamped 15 and on opposite side 1064. A nice touch is the brass acorn on the 12 o’clock spoke used by the helmsman as a guide for straight ahead. This wheel has riveted brass banding front and back although as normal on a working wheel the brass has only been polished on the visible side. The diameter from spoke end to spoke end is 27”(69cm) so an excellent wall display size. Like all the items offered this is for sale a collectable and we can’t guarantee it for its original purpose although it certainly looks strong enough to go back to sea, subject to the necessary checks. The wheel does not carry any makers marks so we have no idea of its origins but estimate it probably dates from the middle of the 20th century. For anyone who has seen the rather nasty replica wheels now flooding the market we can assure you this beauty is in a different league!
Prices in UK Pounds - please see our Terms & Conditions
Use this Currency Converter to find the approximate cost in your currency
Pay securely with your Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, Switch, or Solo through PayPal - see our Terms & Conditions
Ship's Fittings | Ship's Lighting | Instruments & Tools | Miscellaneous
Nautical Stock Archive -  1 | [ 2 ] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20
21
Home | Nautical | Aeronautical | News | Press Releases | About Us | Contact Us | Links
FAQ's | Web Log | Search | Site Map | Privacy | Terms & Conditions
Mr Oldnautibits a chantrybarn production