full screen background image
Home > Home > Salmagundi Archive Page

Salmagundi Archive - Page 1

These are some of the SOLD items that have been listed on our website

There are a maximum of 20 items on each page - they are not listed in any particular order. As time goes by we will continue to add to this archive, so, hopefully it will become quite a large reference record. If you have a specific interest, try using the Search box below - this will search the entire stock database for any keyword(s) you enter.

HINTS: Words of less than four letters are not searched, put "phrases in quotes",
+foo (or AND foo) indicates that "foo" MUST be present in result,
-foo (or NOT foo) indicates that "foo" MUST NOT be present in result.

Pages -  [ 1 ] | 2
NewStock NEW STOCK In Stock IN STOCK Featured FEATURED Sold SOLD Sold - similar available SOLD - similar available  
Reference Stock Item   Description
OC444 Model 396 LB British Extension Telephone - Click for the bigger picture SoldModel 396 LB British Extension Telephone - Not really our area of expertise but this telephone was previously displayed at an aviation museum that closed some time ago. A little research on line indicated this is a model supplied by Ericsson against number N8440-N8446. It was specifically designed for use as 'a local battery table telephone for use in C.B.S. Nos 1,2,3 magneto areas, private circuits without transmission feeds and in mobile vans'. The handset is marked 164 46/1 which we assume dates the instrument to 1946. Originally the handset was designated as a 'Hand Microtelephone', and it started the Bakelite revolution for the Post Office. Originally associated with the Telephone No 162 it saw service from the late 1920s through to the end of the 1950s and beyond. These telephones provided economically the facility for various extension schemes without the use of separate switches or switchboards.

Sadly we have no provenance with it although coming from an aviation museum it may have RAF associations but without proof we are listing in our general section on the website. All we do know, as endorsed by the card in the centre of the instrument, is it appears to have come from the Newton Abbot exchange area of Devon, south west England. It has a more modern BT cord connected at the rear but as it is untested we are offering as a display item only, but would look perfect in a period setting or an ideal stage or film prop, at a very modest price.

OC442 Dunkirk Veterans Association Plaque - Click for the bigger picture SoldDunkirk Veterans Association Plaque - The 1940 Dunkirk Veterans' Association was an association of British service veterans "who served at Dunkirk and other ports of evacuation between 10 May and June 1940" – that is in the Dunkirk evacuation of 1940, including those who were taken prisoner. Associate membership was available to those "otherwise not qualified, but who had assisted at the ports of evacuation". It was formed in Leeds in 1953, and reached a peak membership of over 20,000 but was disbanded on 30 June 2000, after the association's 60th anniversary commemoration. Two of the 'Vets' attended the very last reunion William Stone, 99, and Joe Barnes, 74, who were joined by around 50 other members at the Imperial War Museum in south London. The last ever parade of Dunkirk veterans was held in in France the following month. My late Godfather, Douglas Hannah, was part of the BEF and one of the many who qualified for membership and was forever grateful for the arrival of those 'Little Ships', an episode in WW11 history so inadequately told in the recent film of the same name.

Our plaque was previously displayed at a Devon Air Museum, that is now defunct and is named on the scroll below the coat of arms to the 'Torbay and District Branch'. The coat of arms is mounted on a hardwood shield with provision for wall hanging to the reverse. It is generally in good condition with odd marks commensurate with age and use. It measures 7" x 6" (18 cm x15 cm). Seeing the Association has been disbanded these last 18 years grab the opportunity to add this example to your collection, at a modest price, whilst the opportunity exists. When it is gone it is gone.

3875 US M 41 Field Jacket Replica - Click for the bigger picture SoldUS M 41 Field Jacket Replica - Whilst outside of our normal area of interest this jacket came in with a small private collection we have just bought. Whist clearly second hand it seems in excellent condition and has that lived in look you never get with off the peg replicas. This design originates back in 1935, and several variations were offered up until 1941, when it was finally standardised under the description of JACKET FIELD OD. It is perhaps the most recognizable and most worn jacket of WW11 and used by both U.S Army and Navy personnel.

Manufactured from beige cotton it is fitted with a quality Talon zip that is marked USA on the reverse. In addition to the zip the jacket features button closures to the front, waist and sleeve adjustments and two slash pockets.

Inside it has an olive green blanket lining and a manufacturers label showing designation' M41 Jacket Field' and is dated for authenticity 6/3/41. In addition to other details it states the manufacturer as being 'Doursoux' so we assume it is of French origin. No size is marked but we estimate this great replica would be suitable for a chest size of 39"-42" or 100cm -107cm. A practical and stylish summer jacket on offer at a modest price. All you now need is the Jeep to complete the look!

PC215 WW1 MKV111 Marching Compass by S.Mordan & Co - Click for the bigger picture SoldWW1 MKV111 Marching Compass by S.Mordan & Co - We are pleased to offer today a WW1 Verner's pattern MKVIII prismatic marching compass, made by the firm of Sampson Mordan and is engraved on the base 'S. Mordan & Co, 63968, 1917'. It is also stamped with the British Army War department arrow property mark. The instrument is in excellent original condition, with a jewelled bearing Mother of Pearl dry card compass and the only point to mention is a part of the paint from the compass arrow is now missing. The brass case has good age patination, and has fortunately avoided the attention of the polishing brigade over the last 101 years! The compass carries a transit lock which is engaged by the lid closure.

The anti-slip rubber ring affixed to the underside of the compass, which is often absent, remains in place and is undamaged. The compass card swings freely and locks in position although we can not guarantee its current accuracy and like all stock items is for sale as an historical collectable.

What makes this example particularly interesting is it comes complete with its original leather case and shoulder strap. This is stamped with the manufacturers details French & Son Ltd London and is dated 1916. The leather is in excellent condition, the stitching is sound and it has a great patina. The cream on the cake is it has also named to the original owner and is clearly marked R.P.Delaney, Lt, East Lancashire Regiment. Lieutenant Delaney was clearly taking no chances as he has further cut his name into the reverse side of the case. In addition we have just noticed the initials R.D. marked on the base of the instrument, so clearly the set all belongs together.

The history of this compass is it was picked up in the latter stages of WW1 as a souvenir together with the trench periscope we are also listing today. It is thought both items were acquired at the same time but this is very much family hearsay. Neither have ever been offered for sale in the last 100 years and are therefore fresh to market. A good crisp original example that will sit happily in a WW1 militaria or instrument collection and a fine piece of Britain's WW1 history.

PC214 WW1 British Mk1X Trench periscope - Click for the bigger picture SoldWW1 British Mk1X Trench periscope - A fine original example with a makers plate indicating made by the firm of By R&J Beck Ltd. This is also engraved 'Periscope MK1X' and is dated 1918 and carries serial number 28886. Brothers Richard and Joseph Beck formed the optical manufacturing firm of R and J Beck in 1843, based in London. The firm is remembered for helping to raise the status of the use of microscopes within scientific research but clearly in WW1 this was extended to help saving lives on the battlefield.

The instrument measures 23 1/2 " overall (60 cm) and has a removable varnished turned beech wood handle with a brass screw attachment point. The brass eyepiece has a focus ring on it and the optics are in good clear condition and all functions as intended a century ago! The brass body of the periscope fortunately still carries most of its original olive drab paintwork. These instruments are often found stripped and the brass body polished to a high shine but this one has fortunately avoided this fate ; as with all instruments stripping and polishing seriously reduces their value on the collectors market. The Mk1X are generally regarded as intended for use by Officers and they provided the potentially lifesaving function by enabling a clear view over the parapet of the trench into 'no man's land' without risking life and limb to the attentions of the German snipers in the opposing trench.

The history of this example is a little hazy although we do know it was picked up in the latter part of WW1 as a souvenir from the trenches, together with the interesting hand bearing compass we are also listing today. That is named to an Officer of the East Lancashire Regiment and it is thought both items were acquired at the same time but this is very much family hearsay. Neither have ever been offered for sale in the last 100 years and are therefore fresh to market. A good crisp original example that will sit happily in a WW1 militaria or optical collection.

OC415 WW1 Verner's Mk V11 Marching Compass - Click for the bigger picture SoldWW1 Verner's Mk V11 Marching Compass - A fine original example of the classic British Army WW1 Mk V11 model. Colonel William Willoughby Cole Verner (1852-1922) was commissioned into The Rifle Brigade in 1874 and retired in 1904. He served on the staff in the Egyptian campaign of 1884-85 and during the Boer War. Whilst the basic prismatic compass design has its origins in Schmalcalder's patent of 1812,Verners Pattern was a significant move forward. Around 1905 the term 'Verners Pattern' was first used with a Mk V model. Generally the compass card is the main area of change in the early models whilst the same basic features are displayed from the Mk V through to the Mk VIII and the Mk IX of WWII, with minor details changing depending on the manufacturer. The MkV11 is a prismatic dry card compass with a both a momentary bearing and transit lock fitted. This model is lighter than the WW11 pattern that superseded it and is generally considered easier to use.

This example is in excellent issued condition. It is engrave ' B-L Made in Switzerland' on the base with serial number 27599 and a further nos 22637 stamped inside the lid. The base also carries a War department property mark arrow and the instrument is dated 1915 and it also retains its original anti slip ring which is often now missing from these compasses. It has a magnifying prism fitted for precise angle calculation for accurate target engagement. Whilst we can't guarantee the accuracy of the instrument it appears to be in good working order despite the 102 years since leaving the B-L factory and serving through at least one world war!

The leather case that comes with it is again in excellent condition with just a little wear to the carrying strap. This is clearly stamped L.F. & Co, is dated 1916 and is also broad arrow property marked. It also carries a hand written letter D on the case and D.A. on the shoulder strap possibly to identify the original ownership although details of that owner have long since been lost. The instrument measures 2.25" diameter or 5.4 cm. We believe it would be hard to find a crisper original example of this classic compass from the Great War.

PC210 Mark III '42 Pattern' Marching Compass converted to 'Mils Mk1' Spec - Click for the bigger picture SoldMark III '42 Pattern' Marching Compass converted to 'Mils Mk1' Spec - A small but beautifully formed compass that clearly has a story to tell. The Mk. III Marching Compass first appeared in 1932 and was issued to British and Commonwealth military personnel and was renowned for its durability and extreme accuracy. This example is clearly marked on the base with the makers details T.G. Co Ltd, London and below the serial number 178990. It is also broad arrow property marked showing its military origins and dated 1942. Interestingly the designation MK111 has been crossed through and it has been re stamped Mils Mk1 and it also carries a later NATO reissue code stamp 6605-99-960-0789, added when the conversion was carried out. The '99' indicates the instrument to be of UK origin.

Further research indicates this original WW11 British compass has been modified and re issued, probably to French forces, in Mk1 specification and was used by them from the 1970's to the 1990's. The main difference from the Mk111 variant is the original 360 degree rotating bezel has been replaced by a 6,400 mils example with 17.78 mils equal to 1 degree. This allowed the experienced user the ability to plot very accurately using the aiming posts and prism that were attached to the compass and was particularly useful in artillery, tank, and mortar gunnery.

The compass shows signs of wear with paint rubbed from the brass case but with the proliferation of fakes now being offered this adds to the authenticity of this example. The mother of pearl compass card moves freely and while we can no longer guarantee the accuracy of the instrument it appears to all be in good working order.

In summary a fine original instrument and despite being 75 years old and serving with the British and French military forces remains in fine display condition so grab a little bit of history whilst you can, at a modest price. As with all our stock additional detail photographs are available on request. Measures 2.25"diameter (6.0 cm)

238 Heavy Oak Instrument or Storage Box - Click for the bigger picture SoldHeavy Oak Instrument or Storage Box - On offer is a very fine and strongly constructed solid oak box. We were advised when purchased it probably originally contained a marine instrument but on reflection feel it is more likely it was designed to hold important documents. The box features what appear to be over specified solid cast brass fittings with strap hinges to the rear, a twist clasp to the front that would also have taken a padlock and a heavy brass fold away handle to either end. In addition the box has a brass aperture framed mount to the top of the lid that may well have held the business card of the owner or perhaps information relating to the contents, so if retrieved from a vault the contents would be known.

Sadly we have no provenance with it but the design and style is reminiscent of campaign furniture so it may well have military origins ; certainly with the carrying handles it was designed to be moved so would seem to endorse this theory. It could however also be chancery related and designed to hold important legal documents or perhaps even a family bible box ? Suffice to say whilst its origins are unknown it is a fine piece of furniture and beautifully constructed with dovetail joints. The oak, after a light waxing, exudes patina and as well as a decorative piece in a period house it would serve equally well today as a secure storage box as was probably originally intended. As you might imagine it is a heavy item weighing in unpacked at just over 13 lbs or 6 kilos so please check delivery charges before ordering this one. As with all our stock additional detailed photographs ware available here on request.

250 Women's Voluntary Service 'Aero-Pak' Travel Case - Click for the bigger picture SoldWomen's Voluntary Service 'Aero-Pak' Travel Case - Another charming example that clearly has a story to tell. Like the other suitcase we have just listed it bears witness to its travels of long ago and rather like a passport it carries clues to its earlier working life in far flung locations. Some vintage luggage, like this example, enables it to tell a story a story from its applied labels and shipping marks and here we have a wealth of clues to work on.

The case is of modest dimensions at 18” x 18” x 9” (46cm x 46cm x 23cm) and appears to have been the property of a lady serving with the W.V.S. Originally founded in 1938 as the Women’s Voluntary Services the W.V.S. was initially formed to help recruit women into the Air Raid Precautions (ARP) movement in WW11, assisting civilians during and after air raids by providing emergency rest centres, sustenance, first aid, and perhaps most famously assisting with the evacuation and billeting of children. By 1943 the organisation had over one million volunteers and was involved in almost every aspect of wartime life. In 1966 the WVS was granted the honour of adding ‘Royal’ to its name and so became the W.R.V.S.

Our case carries a stencil name ‘B.K.B. Jones WVS/UK’ and below ‘K/IE’ and is also marked ‘Cabin’ so would have ben wanted on a sea voyage. It also carries a Cunard White Star Line ‘Cabin Class J' label to the side panel and on the lid another reading ‘Roma Abergo Anglo Americano’. The front panel of the case has owners initials B.K.B.J. (Bridget Jones perhaps?) as well as a metal manufactures tag reading ‘Aero-Pak’ and ‘ Deluxe Modern Luggage’. Aero Pak operated out of Petersburg, Virginia, U.S.A. and our research indicates they were formed in early 1900 and were manufacturers of ‘wardrobe trunks and suitcases’.

This quality case features classic yellow stripes on the exterior with a leather covered handle again incorporating the same striped fabric. The edges of the case are covered in leather strips that show significant wear, commensurate with use. The fitted interior, which again shows signs of wear features elasticated pockets to the sides and a further larger pocket within the lid as well as tie down straps to secure items of lose clothing. We are unsure of the actual date of manufacture but at a guess say it is from the 1940’s, endorsed by the Cunard White Star line sticker, as the company only operated under this name until between 1934 to 1949. This case would make a fine addition to either a W.V.S., White Star or vintage case collection and with its ‘shabby chic’ look and with its wealth of external makings it would also make a perfect film or stage prop for those looking for the ultimate in authenticity.

OC362 Military Leather Suitcase - Click for the bigger picture SoldMilitary Leather Suitcase - Named to Major C.H.Townsend this was clearly a very high quality case and is made of fine leather hide and solid brass fittings. What really brings it to life is the painted address and various other shipping marks; clearly Major Townsend did not want to be parted from his luggage whilst serving overseas! The case is marked to the top with the Major’s name and we assume his home address which was ‘Rosemount, Wellington, Shropshire, UK.Interestingly we can just make out below and now over painted ‘ C.H.Townsend, Gloucestershire Regiment’. The lid and front are also marked with a stylised ‘M’ against a red roundel which we assume to be a shipping mark for easy identification. The front and one end are also painted with ‘Cabin W.O.V’ indicating this was cabin baggage and ‘Wanted on Voyage’ so we assume this would have contained the Major personal effects.

This is an extremely heavy case, weighing in at 18 lbs (8 kilos) empty and we would imagine with its heavy brass fitting and copper riveting it would have been an expensive item in its day. We are unsure of the maker, although both locks are embossed ‘British Made’. We can only guess it’s date at late 19th or early 20th century. With time it may well be possible to research Major Townsend which would add further to the interest in (and value) of this piece. Whilst the case has clearly been well used and shows wear commensurate with age it exudes period charm. It would add a ‘shabby chic’ look to a military or Victoriana collection, whilst it would also make a perfect film or stage prop for those looking for the ultimate in authenticity. It would also be ideal for shop window display dressing.

The case measures 30” x 6”x 8” (77 cm x 40 cm x 20 cm.) In view of its size and weight please ask for a shipping quote before making any purchase decision and we of course have more detailed pictures here which are available on request.

6326 German WW11 Vehicle Field and Vehicle Identification Flag - Click for the bigger picture SoldGerman WW11 Vehicle Field and Vehicle Identification Flag - In German known as a ‘Feld und Fahrzeug Erkennungsflagge’ these were first introduced 1st September 1939 to identify German tanks, vehicles and trains to prevent ‘friendly fire’ incidents. Initially white Balkan Crosses were used against a red background but it was found these provided good aiming points so in October 1939 the white cross was changed to black with a white outline. However with the invasion of the low countries the OKH, Oberkommando des Heeres, (the High Command of the Army)changed the speciation again on March 8th 1940 by replacing the Balkan Cross with a swastika. This specification only lasted until April 1941 when the swastika was abandoned and the flag reverted to the Balkan Cross. Whilst the Luftwaffe retained air superiority, these type of flags were widely used by forward troops but later in the war they were seen less and less frequently as they simply represented a ‘calling card’ for the allied air forces! Our flag came from a defunct museum and we have no provenance with it but with the swastika design it would appear to date from between April 1940 to April 1941 so a scarce surviving example. It is a good display size at 74” x 37”(188 cm x 94 cm). The red background is still very fresh with a central white disc of 28” diameter (71 cm) featuring a black swastika machine stitched to the centre. As always with these ID flags it is single sided. To each corner is a plated sheet metal grommet to enable the flag to be tied down securely ;these show some age corrosion. The fabric is generally very sound with a small hole beside one eyelet and a further what could be a period stitched repair but generally it is in very good display condition and of a specification that was only current for 13 months.
5518 WW11 Royal Tank Regiment Illustrated Love Poem - Click for the bigger picture SoldWW11 Royal Tank Regiment Illustrated Love Poem - This item is a little outside our normal area of expertise but when recently we were offered the chance to buy it we could not decline! The poem and pictures appear to have been fairly recently framed and glazed. The top of the picture contains a hand written love poem : There’s never a hill so high, that love can not ascend, There’s never a song so sweet, as sung from the heart of a friend, There's never a stormy sea, without its tranquil shore So may joys sweet content for you, flow on for ever more.. Sadly the poem is not addressed to anyone and it is not signed. Below are a series of naive style scenes, drawn in ink, showing Africa in 1943, Italy in 1944, Austria in 1945 and finally good old ‘Blighty’! Within each montage a small tank is shown - we believe this could be based on a British Churchill Mk 1V which was used by British and Commonwealth forces in North Africa, Italy and North-West Europe so in line with the areas depicted. In the African scene the caption has been added ‘through dust’ and in Italy ‘blood’ in Austria ‘mud’ and in England ‘to the green fields beyond! It is our assumption the creator of this artwork was a member of this tank’s crew and the illustration depicts his war and happily it appears he got home safely. Whilst this Tank Regiment man remains anonymous his artwork and poem of 70 years ago survives. It is in excellent condition and not faded. It would appear to have been folded at some stage and was perhaps included in a letter. We suppose it is possible something may be written on the reverse side but we have left the piece exactly as it came in. Certainly a one off and emotive souvenir of WW11. Minor marks to frame and non breakable glass fitted. More detailed pictures available on request. Frame measures 17.00” x 13.25” (43 cm x 33 cm)
5498 Schweiger's Hand Held Perimeter - Click for the bigger picture SoldSchweiger's Hand Held Perimeter - And now for something completely different! We purchased this instrument at a specialist marine auction and it was catalogued as ‘a Royal Navy gun sighting device’. Liking scientific instruments we secured the lot and with further online research we discovered auctioneers don’t always know it all after all! We have now been able to identify it as not marine related at all but an early optometrists instrument invented in 1888 by Schweigger. It is a hand-held instrument and was pioneered for use at the patient's bedside as it was quite small, in contrast to the heavy clinical instruments that often filled huge crates. The instrument was set up with the vertical rod with the slanted plate placed against the lower rim of the eye socket of the eye being examined. The arc perimeter was then used to measure the angle of extent of the patient’s visual field by moving targets along the arc until they can no longer be seen and the results recorded. The targets were coloured discs on the end of hand-held wands that the optometrists holds against the arc in various places. The arc revolves so that the field can be assessed across any meridian. The instrument can also be used to identify the characteristics of the visual field such as scotoma of which the physiological blind spot is an example that we all exhibit. These instruments continued to be used well into the twentieth century and assigning a date to this examples is very difficult, particularly as it carries has no makers marks or patent numbers, so we can only guess at its age. It appears to be in good used condition and would make a great addition to a specialist vintage optometrists collection or a brilliant entry in a ‘guess its use’ quiz! The arc measures 16” (40 cm).
OC369 British Army Despatch Riders Gloves - Click for the bigger picture SoldBritish Army Despatch Riders Gloves - A pair of WD issue gloves by D.Power & Sons Ltd. This pattern was also used by the women in the ATS Motorised Transport Section, for driving duties. Power & Sons Ltd operated out of their Long Street, Walsall factory. Walsall’s gloving industry developed after the First World War, as a deliberate policy of diversification to combat the decline in the local saddlery and harness trade and they were the first specialist glove manufacturer in the town. This set are fully marked and as well as the makers details they are dated 1946 and carry the WD stamp, crows foot and the number 267. The marked size is 7 and we speculate this pair were ladies ATS drivers gloves. They are in excellent original condition and show just minor storage marks and appear to be unissued.
6342 160th Field Artillery Regiment War Trophy Souvenir Flag Grouping - Click for the bigger picture Sold160th Field Artillery Regiment War Trophy Souvenir Flag Grouping - this flag was captured in WW11 by members of the 160th Field Artillery Regiment of the 45th‘Thunderbird’Infantry Division. Sadly we don’t know the exact story but Joe M.Cope (of Ada Oklahoma)kindly both signed and dated the flag on November 28th 1944. Research online indicates on the 25th November 1944 the Division attacked the Fort Kaiser Wilhelm built to protect the Alsace Regions north of Mutzig, then crossed the Zintzel River and advanced through the Maginot Line. It is reasonable to assume this souvenir of war was captured at this time. On 15th December, the Thunderbirds crossed the border into Germany, making them the first US troops of the Seventh Army to enter the Hitler’s ‘ homeland’. The 45th was activated as a National Guard Division in 1924 in Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico and Oklahoma. The Division adopted the Thunderbird shoulder patch in 1939 after the rise of the Nazi Party in Germany which used the swastika, a symbol that bore a resemblance to the original divisional patch. The Thunderbirds were “federalized” on 16 September, 1940 after President Roosevelt declared a “limited national emergency.” The unit was active throughout WW11, participating in eight campaigns, four amphibious assaults, and a total of 511 days of combat. Following World War II the division became an all Oklahoma organisation but in 1950, they were again called into service during the Korean War. We were advised when purchased the flag was captured by Luciano M. Alonzo, who was born in 1918 and lived in Maricopa, Arizona and was from a native Indian family. He died in Phoenix Arizona in 2005. This grouping includes an original Thunderbirds shoulder badge which we were told came from Luciano Alonzo’s wartime uniform. The flag is also signed by a bunch of his friends including Sgt Orin Karbrud, Homer Rye, Joe Cope, Leo Huffines and others. We also have a black and white photograph that includes Alonzo(back row 3rd from right with possibly captured Nazi binoculars around his neck) together with 9 colleagues. Sadly the picture is not named so we can’t tell if these were the chaps who signed the flag but seems very possible. The flag is in fine original condition, with just one small snag on the black swastika and very minor age staining. It is double sided and the colours are still bright and all the signatures, which include the signatories home towns, are readable. The grouping is completed by some limited research and ideally deserves to be on public display back in the US as a tribute to the Thunderbird Division and its men. Measures 50” x 31” (150 cm x 75 cm.)
1806 Middle East Cigarette Case - Click for the bigger picture SoldMiddle East Cigarette Case - This example came in with the small collection of military related cigarette cases we have listed today. Whilst the others date to circa WW11 we believe this one to be of post war manufacture. The front carries a detailed map of Iraq and the outline of the surrounding countries of Turkey, Iran, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Trans Jordan and Syria. The wording ‘Trans Jordan’ may give a clue to the age of the case as the State of Trans Jordan became the the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan in 1948 so we assume this case dates from around this early post WW11 period. The inside is stamped Sylva chrome Made in England and Patent number 592750. It is also marked Emu brand. The spring catch and hinge are in perfect condition although the elastic to hold the cigarettes in place is missing from this example. Measures 5” x 3.5” (13 cm x 9 cm)
177 'Bull Shit Creek' Trench Art Ashtray - Click for the bigger picture Sold'Bull Shit Creek' Trench Art Ashtray - I am currently thinning out my own collection and this one has to go! On offer here is a super chunk of trench art in need of a new home! It is made from a German shell case base which is dated dated 1936 and carries a clear Waffan amp stamp together with various other manufacturing marks. The shell casing has been mainly removed and the remaining base has been converted into an ashtray and features a match box holder in the centre. Whilst the history of this piece has been lost down the years it has punched into the side the words "Bull Shit Creek" and it would clearly have a story to tell if it could only talk! It measures 5" across the base (128mm) and strands 2.5" high (64 mm).
2379 Ale House Tankard - Click for the bigger picture SoldAle House Tankard - Original tankard finely engraved to the front "Falcon Inne." Manufactured in brass, the tankard would have been used in a public house and the engraving would effectively be an early form of property mark to ensure the tankard remained on the premises! It features a hinged lid and is generally in great used condition showing just minor age wear as you would expect, but overall has great patina and probably dates from the late 19th century. Capacity looks to be a pint. It measures 6.5” (16cm.) high. Whilst not fitting into either our normal Nautical and Aeronautical theme it just exudes character and we had to buy it!
4192 British Graham Land Expedition 1934 - 1937 Full Field Goggles - Click for the bigger picture SoldBritish Graham Land Expedition 1934 - 1937 Full Field Goggles - These come complete with original fitted case indicating manufactured by Theodore Hamblin Ltd. of Wigmore Street, London. The BGLE was organised so as to map the west coast of Graham Land to explore alternative passages through the Stefenson Strait rather than through the eastern approach that proved so disastrous to Shackleton. The goggles are fitted with salvog yellow lenses which were used on the Everest expeditions and gave maximum protection to ultra violet light. Some fogging to lenses and associated age wear but a possible unique and historical set of expedition goggles.
PC168 Swastika Motif Hat Pin - Click for the bigger picture SoldSwastika Motif Hat Pin - We believe this fine example probably dates from the 1020's when the swastika device was considered a symbol of well being and predates its adoption as a symbol of the Nazi Party in the 1930's. This hat pin has an arts & crafts feel to it and features inset clear and emerald coloured stones. It carries no makers marks and we'll leave it to the experts to decide on its age and origins. Pin measures 9" (23cm)
Prices in UK Pounds - please see our Terms & Conditions
Use this Currency Converter to find the approximate cost in your currency
Pay securely with your Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, Switch, or Solo through PayPal - see our Terms & Conditions
Salmagundi Archive -  [ 1 ] | 2
Home | Nautical | Aeronautical | News | Press Releases | About Us | Contact Us | Links
FAQ's | Web Log | Search | Site Map | Privacy | Terms & Conditions
Mr Oldnautibits a chantrybarn production