Aeronautical Instruments & Tools
R.N.A.S. Haldon Clock Presented to Lt F.C.Muir R.N.V.R.
Here we have a very fine Art Deco Smith's Electric Clock which was presented by his fellow Officers to the recipient on the occasion of his wedding in WWII. It carries a fine solid silver hallmarked plaque to the top indicating the maker was 'RP' who we believe to be Robert Pringle of London. It also carries a London assay mark and a date letter for 1937. The plaque is a finely engraved and reads:- 'Presented to Lieut & Mrs F.C. Muir on the occasion of their marriage by 794 Squadron & Personnel of R.N.A.S Haldon 3rd January 1942.
We have been able to trace Lt Muir and as an Acting Sub Lieutenant he was serving with R.N.V.R. 794 Squadron in August 1940. The airfield, situated in Devon inland from Dawlish and Teignmouth, was initially used in WWII by the RAF the Research Development Flight, from RAF Boscombe Down, engaged in developing balloon cable cutters and airfield rocket defences. The airfield was transferred to the Admiralty in August 1941 and the main role for RNAS Haldon was that of a relief landing ground and a refuelling stop for Air Towed Target aircraft. Detachments from RNAS Yeovilton frequented the station operating over the Lyme Bay live firing ranges. Aircraft types included Defiant, Skua, Swordfish, & Spitfire. On December 31st 1942 the station lost its commissioned name and it was reduced to Care & Maintenance status in May 1943. The Admiralty officially closed and paid off RNAS Haldon on February 17th 1946 and the Gilding School left for Exeter in June 1946 and was the last military flying unit to operate from the site.
The clock was clearly a quality piece in its day and was made by Smiths Electric Clocks Ltd of Cricklewood London. The hands are adjusted from the rear and it would have originally operated on a mains 200/250 volts connection. The mains cord is now absent and whilst subject to professional checks it may be possible to get functioning again it is for sale here purely as an historic art deco and R.N.A.S collectable from an often overlooked Devon air station of WWII.