Nautical Instruments & Tools
Price = n/a
HMS Vernon Ward Room Presentation Silver Napkin Ring
Another super item we bought at auction in 2005 but was subsequently mislaid in our stock room, but which has finally seen the light of day, together with a number of other assorted items that came in the mixed lot.
This napkin ring, made in Sheffield in 1905 carries makers marks to H.A. signifying the maker was Atkins Brothers of Sheffield, a business that traces its origins to Thomas Law, a silversmith active in Sheffield from 1750 until 1775.
The front of the ring is engraved 'W.R. Officers' an '8' and below HMSVernon ; W.R. identifies this ring was for use in the Ward Room Officers Mess. On the reverse is a presentation engraving 'From E.C.B.' We assume the individual with these initials presented the ring to the Ward Room Officers Mess of HMS Vernon sometime around 1905. The inside of the ring is named to S.Lanyon, 4 Ordinance Row, Portsmouth so we assume this was the supplier. In addition scratched in the silver is number P22194. We have identified a similarly marked ring is held in the Imperial War Museums London collection.
HMS Vernon was a shore establishment or "stone frigate" of the Royal Navy. Vernon was established on 26th April 1876 as the Royal Navy's Torpedo Branch and was named after the ship HMS Vernon which served as part of its floating base. After the First World War, HMS Vernon moved ashore, taking over the Gunwharf site, where it continued to operate until 1st April 1996. The ring shows minor service wear but seeing it is well over 100 years old it is in amazing condition and would provide an ideal stocking filler for the Royal Naval collector in your life.