Nautical Instruments & Tools
Price = n/a
Barker's of Kensington Ships Clock
Barkers of Kensington was a department store in Kensington High Street, London. It was started by John Barker and James Whitehead, later Lord Mayor of London, in 1870. It was sold to House of Fraser in 1957 and was closed in 2006. This fine brass cased clock was clearly made for Barker's and marketed by them, probably in the 1930's.
It features a 7 day movement and the standard advance and retard lever mounted at the 12 O'clock position. The silvered dial is generally very good good with just the odd age related mark ; it is 6 1/2" diameter (16 cm) and it the timepiece is 3.5" deep (9 cm) measured from the bulkhead mounting plate. It features a heavy cast brass bezel ring with black painted steel hour and minute hands with a smaller seconds subsidiary dial above. A label to the back of the case indicates it was last serviced in 2010 ; whilst we have not checked the movement it has been running perfectly in the time it has been with us but the new owner may wish to have it oiled and checked.
A fine quality clock from a famous London retailer that would be happy to either go back to sea or to make a real statement on your kitchen or bathroom wall!