Price = n/a
HMS Hastings Presentation Model Pewter Figurehead
The original figurehead, on which this model is based, is now preserved at Merseyside Maritime Museum. HMS Hastings was built in 1818 as an East Indiaman but was bought by the Royal Navy the following year. A 3rd rater of 74 guns, sailors and marines from Hastings fought Chinese pirates at the Battle of Tonkin River in 1849.
In 1855 she was fitted with screw propulsion and joined the fleet in the Baltic. In 1857 the ship was deployed to Liverpool on coastal defence duties before being transferred to the Royal Naval Reserve to be used as a training ship. She was finally broken up in 1886. Her figurehead depicts Francis Rawden-Hastings, 1st Marquis of Hastings (1754-26) in army uniform and the original was acquired and displayed by C.W.Kellock in their Liverpool offices.
C.W. Kellock & Co. was one of the leading merchant ship brokers and owners in Liverpool in the mid-nineteenth century. The company was established in Liverpool in 1820. In 1864 C.W. Kellock greatly expanded his business and opened an office in London under the management of Charles' brother W.B. Kellock. Charles W. Kellock retired from the company and died in 1897 but the business continued to operate under the partnership of his two sons. The Liverpool office was closed in 1972, but the London office is still active today.
Our model has survived remarkably well seeing its 96 years and is cast in pewter and mounted on an ebonized wood base, which shows minor wear commensurate with the items age. It was comissionedd to commemorate the centenary of C.W. Kellock & Co, in 1920. It is assumed these models were presented as a corporate gift to customers and associates of the business. The brass plates on the base reads on the front : 'MODEL OF FIGUREHEAD OF HMS HASTINGS. THE LAST OF THE WOODEN WALLS OF OLD ENGLAND. THE ORIGINAL BEING IN THE LIVERPOOL SHIPPING SALEROOM OF C.W. KELLOCK & CO', The plaque on the revere side is etched :'1820 KELLOCKS CENTENARY 1920' sand 'WITH THE COMPLIMENTS OF C.W. KELLOCK & CO. LONDON & LIVERPOOL.' The model stands 7" high (18 cm) and the ebonised base is 3 1/2" (9 cm) in diameter and is felt covered.