full screen background image
Search Oldnautibits
 
Home > Nautical > Stock Archive Page

Nautical Stock Archive - Page 4

These are some of the SOLD items that have been listed on our website

There are a maximum of 20 items on each page - our most recent sale is listed first - this is now quite a large reference record. If you have a specific interest, use our keyword search to search the entire stock database.


 Pages -  1 | 2 | 3 | [ 4 ] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20
21
NewStock NEW STOCK In Stock IN STOCK Featured FEATURED Sold SOLD Sold - similar available SOLD - similar available  
Reference Stock Item   Description
2411
RMS Strathmore Toast Rack - Click for the bigger picture SoldRMS Strathmore Toast Rack - Strathmore was an ocean liner of the Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company (P&O).She was the first of five sister ships in what came to be called the "Strath" class and was launched in 1935. In WWII she was requisitioned and she served for 9 years as government troopship. She was returned to P & O in 1948 but in 1963 she was sold to the Greek owners and renamed Marianna Latsis. She finally scrapped at La Spezia in May 1969. Our toast rack is marked EPNS on the back and Pat Nos 28880. The base carries a brass and enamel plaque featuring the P & O flag, a kings crown and the ships name RMS Strathmore. minor age wear to chrome but an excellent display item from a famous P & O vessel Measures 4" x 3.2" at base (9.5 cm x 8 cm)
4208
Schmermuly Interntional Line Throwing Appratus - Click for the bigger picture SoldSchmermuly Interntional Line Throwing Appratus - William Schermuly was a mariner and inventor born in 1857 of Dutch origin, his parents having emigrated from Holland to England in the mid 1600's. Schermuly was one of the fathers of modern rocketry and whilst William started the family business, it was his 3rd son Alfred James Schermuly who invented and put into production the firms patented Line Launch gun. This pattern was first produced in the 1920's manufactured in a factory in Dorking Surrey, it was the first of its kind to use a rocket instead of gun powder to launch a rope to or from a boat in distress at sea. The firms business really took off after the passing of the Merchant Shipping Act of 1929 when every British registered ship of over 500 tons had to carry a line launcher. The Schermully invention proved highly successful in this task and over the years the system saved many lives at sea. This fine example is in superb issued issued condition. The firing mechanism is bronze with a varnished walnut grip. The device is clearly marked "Schermuly's Pat No 50332". We have checked this patent and it was taken out by Schermuly and granted on September 3rd, 1937 covering Class 119, a pistol or other gun for discharging line throwing rockets or projectiles. The opposite side is stamped with serial number 1883 whilst the breach is marked with a crown over V, crossed swords and other stamps. Different laws apply to owning these instruments in different countries but we can confirm this example has been recently deactivated and it comes with it's certificate and it is fully legal to own for display purposes by any UK collector. The breach still opens and the firing mechanism is fully operative but it will never launch another rocket in its retirement! Measures 23" (58 cm)
1920
Passenger Vessel Mechanical Counter - Click for the bigger picture SoldPassenger Vessel Mechanical Counter - When purchased we were told this box was used to count passengers on and off vessels to make sure the ship sailed with a full complement and with nobody left behind. Whilst purchased in Manchester we were told it originated from the seaport of Liverpool.

The box is made from mahogany and of jointed construction and has a circular aperture cut in the front with a brass dial located behind a glass panel. The top of the instrument features a press down brass knob reminiscent of counter bells used to attract sales staff in shops in the 1950's. When depressed firmly the counter moves forward by one and a bell rings on each occasion. The maximum passenger count is a theoretical 9999. The brass counting mechanism is stamped 'Williamson' and 'Ashton-U-Lyne'. We researched this company and see they also made ticket printers for 'tramways, omnibuses, railways and steamboats'. The box originally had a lock fitted, accessed via the lid, but the lock is now missing. The internal mechanism can be removed and on the reverse are two knobs for zeroing the counter dials for future use.

Whilst for sale as a marine collectable it is in full working order and we see no reason why it could not be used as originally intended although today modern electronic versions do the same job but without the style of ours. We would guesstimate this dates from the early 20th century. The case measures 6.75"x 3.75" (17 cm x 9.50 cm)

5244
Kaiserliche Und Königliche Kriegsmarine Aneroid Barometer - Click for the bigger picture SoldKaiserliche Und Königliche Kriegsmarine Aneroid Barometer - The Austro-Hungarian Navy was the naval force of Austria-Hungary and its official name in German was" Kaiserliche Und Königliche Kriegsmarine" translated to "Imperial and Royal War Navy" but normally abbreviated to "K.u. K. Kriegsmarine". The K.u. K. was created after the formation of the Dual Monarchy in 1867 and by 1915 a total of 33,735 naval personnel were serving in the Kriegsmarine. Ships of the K.u. K. Kriegsmarine were designated SMS, for Seiner Majestät Schiff or His Majesty's Ship. After the First World War, both Austria and Hungary were deprived of their coasts, and their Navies were abolished by the victorious Allied powers. Their former ports on the Adriatic Sea, such as Trieste, Pola, Fiume, and Ragusa, became parts of Italy and Yugoslavia.

Our aneroid barometer is a rare survivor from this little know Navy and whilst not dated we would estimate it was manufactured in the late 19th or early 20th century. The silvered dial is engraved 'Holosteric Barometer''. 'Holosteric' is defined as:- 'wholly constructed of solids, without any liquid'. The dial is numbered 446 and below further engraved 'K.u. K Kriegsmarine'. The bottom of the dial features a Celsius Thermometer with a scale from 10C-50C. The reverse of the brass case is further engraved K.u. K. K.M. and below PHNB enclosed within a circle, a device repeated on the dial. This is the manufacturers mark, made up of the initials of the founders Pertuis, Hulot, Naudet and are regarded as one of the world's premier barometer makers, established in Paris in 1860and still in business today.

The instrument is in very good original condition and the only issue is at some stage it looks as though the silvered dial has been rather too enthusiastically cleaned resulting in some surface scratching to the silvering, but when wall hung this is hardly noticeable. The case profile is exaggeratedly dished and the barometer carries a brass hanging loop to the top, which locates on a brass hook mounted on a custom made mahogany mount which sets the instrument off perfectly when displayed. The barometric pressure and tell-tale hands function as intended as does the thermometer. A rare and desirable K.u. k. Kriegsmarine barometer by one of the very best makers which would make a fine yet functional addition to a specialist K.u. K Kriegsmarine or barometer collection.

PC211
Marine Range Finder by Kelvin Hughes - Click for the bigger picture SoldMarine Range Finder by Kelvin Hughes - In steam driven days (using the original meaning of the expression) and long before radar, a manual method of calculating distance at sea was essential for safe passage. This intriguing little hand held optical instrument fitted the bill perfectly. It was operated on the same principle as early cameras where a split image rangefinder was built in and when a distant object lined up against both prisms the distance could be calculated from an attached scale and an accurate focus could be obtained.

In operation this instrument would be set by aligning the height of the ships mast against the left edge of the transverse height scale from 0 to 200 feet. This need not necessarily be mast head to waterline measurement as the note pad on the reverse side has provision for noting also the distance from the mast head to the "lower top" and "Upper speed to stern lt." The distant vessel is then viewed through the telescope, where a split field view is seen. The image of the head of the mast in one half is brought alongside the image of the waterline in the other half by rotating the knurled knob on the right of the instrument and when aligned the distance in cables (a cable is one tenth of a nautical mile) can be read against the index on the distance scale.

The instrument is in excellent condition and whilst we can no longer guarantee its accuracy it all seems to function as intended. It carries a makers label to 'Kelvin Hughes A Division of Smiths Industries Ltd'. Kelvin & Hughes Ltd was formed in 1947 by the merger of the scientific instrument manufacturing firms of Henry Hughes & Son Ltd, London, England, and Kelvin Bottomley & Baird Ltd, Glasgow, Scotland. Kelvin & Hughes Ltd were essentially a part of Smith's Industries Ltd founded in 1944 as the successors of S. Smith & Son Ltd. Kelvin & Hughes Ltd was liquidated in 1966 but the name was continued as 'Kelvin Hughes, a division of Smiths Group plc'. We therefore deduce this instrument was manufactured around 1966 or later but the basic pattern was used much earlier by the Royal Navy. Whilst an obsolete instrument today it makes a fine talking point and would sit happily in a marine or scientific instrument collection and represents excellent value at a modest price. Instrument measures 5.25" x 3.25" (13 cm x 8 cm).

OC383
Telescopic Brass Standard Lamp - Click for the bigger picture SoldTelescopic Brass Standard Lamp - Another lamp from our own collection that is now surplus to current requirements. It was purchased from a specialist marine lamp dealer back in 1992. We are unsure of its origins but we were told at the time it had come from a cruise liner. We would estimate it dates from the early 20th century but it carries no makers details or patent numbers to help us to identify age more closely. It weighs in at a hefty 8.4 kilos so I would think with such a heavy base the story could well be true and its classic lines have always been much admired in the 23 years we have owned it. It is in very good original condition with the odd very small knock and bump commensurate with age. The weighted base is cast iron but otherwise brass throughout. We have always found it very versatile in domestic use in that the stem is telescopic and the knurled brass connector is a locking device when the required height requirement has been established. The fully retracted height to top of bulb fitting is 51 1/2" (131 cm). Extended from base to same point it is a massive 73 1/2" (186 cm). The brass base is 13" diameter (34 cm). It has 3 knob feet with can be screwed in or out to compensate for uneven floors. The brass is not lacquered and we polish up occasionally which brings it back to a really good shine. The lamp holder has a standard bayonet fitting and is switched. The lamp had been rewired when we bought it with new period style braided wire fitted with a fused 12 amp plug. The lamp shade shown in our pictures is for display purposes only and is not included in the sale but if any purchaser would like it we are happy to include on a complementary basis but this may need to be despatched in a separate box to avoid transit damage. In view of the weight of this item please check shipping costs to your destination before ordering and more detailed photographs are available on request
OC400
Royal Navy Tin Case named to W.A.Smith Esq R.N. - Click for the bigger picture SoldRoyal Navy Tin Case named to W.A.Smith Esq R.N. - We are pleased to offer another interesting case this time made of tin and of Royal Navay origins. It is of the type issued by the Admiralty to store and transport items of clothing and equipment in. Sometimes the shape gives a clue to the original contents, as with say a bicorn hat. In this instance we can only guess at what was stored within as the contents are now missing. The metal case measures 24" x 12" x 5" (61 cm x 31 cm x 13 cm) and in finished in original black paint. It is in generally good original condition with the odd mark to the finish commensurate with age and use.

To the front is a solid cast brass carrying handle that looks as though it too would have originally been painted black but much of the paint has been worn clean through use. The case has the facility to be secured by a padlock and it also appears to have had two additional sliding fasteners to the lid which are now missing. The case also features two smaller metal carry handles at either end. A particularly nice touch is a silvered plaque to the lid that is finely engraved to the original owner 'W.A.Smith Esq R.N.' Sadly the details of his service career have been lost down the years. The lid also carries two copper riveted strengthening bars.

Inside the interior metal has been painted in Royal Naval grey ; this again is flaking in places but is clearly the original finish as issued. The item does not carry a date but we would estimate it originates from the late 19th to early 20th century. A modest and utilitarian example of Royal Navy memorabilia but it remains an interesting and decorative example that will appeal to a wide spectrum of collectors.
4493
W.R.N.S. HMS Ganges Brass Plaque - Click for the bigger picture SoldW.R.N.S. HMS Ganges Brass Plaque - Dating back to 1866 HMS Ganges became the boys' training ship anchored in Falmouth harbour where she remained until August 1899. In November 1899 HMS Ganges was transferred to Harwich harbour where she remained as a boys' training ship. In 1905 the boys moved ashore for their training, and HMS Ganges became a 'stone frigate.' On 6th June 1876 HMS Ganges finally closed with training training transferred to to HMS Raleigh, at Torpoint, Cornwall where it continues to this day. Our research indicates the first contingent of the Women's Royal Naval Service (WRNS) arrived at Ganges during WWI. Sadly we have no provenance with our plaque but it is definitely a one off. Mounted on an oak shield the brass face plate is hand worked with a Royal Naval crown to the top followed by W.R.N.S. and below HMSGanges in ornate script. Around the outside is a rope device and the brass shield is attached by three screws. The reverse of the shield looks at though it has been wall mounted at some stage. It would be a simple job to fit a wall hook for display purposes. This plaque would be a fine souvenir for anyone collecting WRNS related items or for that matter all those with associations with or memories of with HMS Ganges. Measures 6.75" x 5.5" (18 cm x 14 cm)
5096
W.R.N.S.WWII Hand Carved Oak Plaque - Click for the bigger picture SoldW.R.N.S.WWII Hand Carved Oak Plaque - We have an old friend in the antiques trade who would often describe a special items of stock as 'a belter'! This hand carve Women's Royal Naval Service oak plaque we feel would fall into this category. This is clearly a one off lovingly carved from a single lump of English oak with the fouled anchor, naval crown and W.R.N.S logo cut in relief. The image is set off by a fine depiction of a little wren sitting astride the anchor ring. What makes this shield even more special is on the back the original owner has cut into the wood the establishments she has served on so we have her complete WWII postings. Firstly she served on HMS Wasp between August 1942 to November 1944. HMS Wasp was a Coastal Forces shore establishment at Dover during World War II. Then in November '44 she transferred to HMS Midge where she served until May 1945. Midge was another Coastal Forces base at Great Yarmouth with responsibility for M.T.B's, Motor gun boats and Mine Layers. Next she served on HMS Westcliffe from May to September 1945. Westcliffe was a Combined Operations Training Establishments in WWII at Burnham on Crouch mainly holding landing craft which were primarily concerned with preparing allied forces for the amphibious invasion of North Africa and mainland Europe. Her final posting was to HMS Rosneath in September 1945. Rosneath was a secret base in Scotland and was covertly used by the USN even before America joined the war. The base was handed back to the Royal Navy in June '45 and finally closed in 1948. Our anonymous Wren never engraved when she left what appears to have been her final posting. and sadly as the plaque is not named and the history of the owner has now been lost. It may be possible however with the very specific dates detailed in may just be possible to identify her. She certainly made a very full contribution the Second World War. To conclude as we started the plaque is 'a belter' and this unique piece of WWII history would sit very happily in any WRENS or Royal Navla related collection. Measures 7.5" x 5.75" (19 cm x 15 cm.) Please check out the other WRNS brass plaque relating to HMS Ganges we have also just listed on line.
5149
HMS Berwick Screen Badge - Click for the bigger picture SoldHMS Berwick Screen Badge - Made of cast alloy and features a fine crest in traditional Chatham pattern. Nine Royal Navy ships have carried the name HMS Berwick. The first from 1679 and the most recent the frigate launched in 1959 and sunk in the North Atlantic as a target in 1986. Our badge is cast in relief and finely painted. Berwick is also cast into the reverse of the badge. Measures an impressive 20.5" (52 cm) high.
5150
HMS Boadicea Boat Badge - Click for the bigger picture SoldHMS Boadicea Boat Badge - Made from cast alloy with image cast in relief and painted. Five Royal Naval vessels have been named Boadicea dating back to 1875 and the most recent a destroyer launched in 1930 and sunk by air attack off Portland, Dorset on 13th June, 1944. Our badge measures an impressive 15" high (38 cm) and the ship's name is cast into the reverse.
279
Ship's Triton Portable Foghorn - Click for the bigger picture SoldShip's Triton Portable Foghorn - in elm, brass & leather. Manufactured by Alldays & Onion, Birmingham c. 1880. This item to be featured on a forthcoming edition of Bargain Hunt!
5681
Royal Navy Rum Pump - Click for the bigger picture SoldRoyal Navy Rum Pump - Made from copper and brass with a hardwood handle. These were in Royal Navy use from the 19th century and were used to draw the daily rum ration from the keg for distribution to all hands. This tradition was finally abandoned with the last tot to the fleet being issued on 31st July, 1970 - a tradition started in 1667. These pumps were specified against Royal Navy stores reference number 53598 although normally they carried neither identification marks or dates to give us any clues to age or origins. This example is in decent used condition but it has the odd knock and dent in the bowl, commensurate with service use. The syphon mechanism is still in place. We recently had this actual pump checked out by a BBC Antiques Roadshow 'expert'. He placed a retail value on it of £450! Whilst an example recently sold at a major London auction house at £360 plus extras and we live in the real world and ours is priced rather more competitively! A museum quality item, so grab this one while you have the opportunity. Measures 41" (104 cm)
OC289
6 Spoke Launch Wheel - Click for the bigger picture Sold6 Spoke Launch Wheel - On offer is modest 14.25" diameter (36 cm) small ships wheel manufactured from brass with teak spokes. We have here an original Simpson Laurence marine equipment catalogue dating from October 1965 and have found a near identical example listed that was priced at seven pounds and ten shillings which was a significant price 51 years ago!

Our wheel does not have any makers marks so we do not know its origins but would estimate it dates to a similar period or perhaps a little earlier. The metal work has been lightly polished and glows almost like bronze in the late October sunlight. The teak spokes show signs of wear commensurate with age and use; each is secured by a large brass head locking screw. Seeing the small size this would make a perfect display item in a nautically themed room or if you have a suitable classic launch we see no reason why it could not be used as originally intended. A modest yet decorative wheel on offer at a keener price than in 1965, having taken inflation into account!
5428
Royal Navy/Fleet Air Arm Torpedo Rudder Adjusting Gauge - Click for the bigger picture SoldRoyal Navy/Fleet Air Arm Torpedo Rudder Adjusting Gauge - This comes in its original battleship grey transit box stamped Gauge St No T 528. The instrument was used in WWII for adjusting the horizontal rudders on Royal Navy 18" and 21" Duplex Impact-only exploder torpedoes. We understand the 18 inch torpedoes were launched from aircraft and the 21 inch were fired from ships and submarines. Clearly dated 1944 and in excellent issued condition. Box measures 10" (25.5 cm)
1040
Pacific Steam Navigation Company Pastry or Fruit Fork - Click for the bigger picture SoldPacific Steam Navigation Company Pastry or Fruit Fork - Founded by William Wheelwright in London in 1838 P.S.N.Co began operations in 1840 with two steam ships. In 1852 they were contracted by the British Government to carry mail to South America. In 1905 Pacific Steam sold its London – Sydney route to the Royal Mail Steam Packet Company, who bought the entire company in 1910. They operated throughout both world wars and beyond but in 1965 P.S.N.C and Royal Mail were bought by Furness Withy.

Our fork carries a kings Crown and the company initials P.S.N.Co. with a stylised leaf below. On the reverse is further ornate decoration showing a native headdress and Pacific Island motif. We also noted very small letting M & W indicating this item was made by the quality Sheffield based firm of Mappin & Webb. In very good original condition with just minor service wear commensurate with age and use. Measures 6.25" (16 cm)

.

6082
Royal Navy Ditty Box and Associated Items - Click for the bigger picture SoldRoyal Navy Ditty Box and Associated Items - We have had a number of Naval 'Ditty Boxes' over the years but in most instances the provenance has been lost. This gorgeous grouping is very much the exception! The ditty box which is of standard pattern and is named to the original owner not once but twice with a brass plaque to front and lid. The set belonged to a Royal Navy Stoker Reginald James Thomas Potter; our research indicates Potter's official number was K. 65508 and he was a West Country man and was born in Bristol in 1905 and got his final posting in 1994 ages 89 years. He served on HMS Exeter, the Cruiser launched in 1929 and he was clearly serving on her during her world cruise 1933-1936 and as part of the group we have his 'crossing the line certificate'. Whilst some aspects are a little faded it is very decorative and indicates Potter crossed the Equator for the first time on 24th December 1933. The certificate measures 17.75" x 12" (45 cm x 30 cm) and would perhaps benefit from remounting in a period style frame.

The grouping is completed by a plaque featuring a plated image of the ship, which was contained within the ditty box when purchased. This is inscribed 'South America 1933-1936' together with a scroll below detailing the places visited on Exeter's South American tour. The plaque has a brass desk support to rear and measures 5.75" x 3.75" (14.5 cm x 9.5 cm)

Exeter was a very famous ship in the RN and is remembered for taking part in the Battle of the River Plate. She was finally lost in the Battle of the Java Sea on 1st March 1942 in action against the Japanese. We have no idea if Potter was still serving on her then but whatever happened he survived the war and lived into old age. The ditty box is in excellent original condition and the pine has been lightly waxed and polished. Everything inside is as you would expect. The box is of standard form and has the original hinges fitted. It measures 12" x 7.25" x 6" (30.5 cm x 20 cm x 15 cm). The lock is still in place although as is normally the case the key is missing but we can supply a suitable non functioning period key for display purposes. An exceptional set which served on an historic WWII Cruiser with battle honours to match!
2678
White Star Line Related Suitcase - Click for the bigger picture SoldWhite Star Line Related Suitcase - Perhaps the most famous (or infamous) name in shipping the White Star Line (WSL) conjures up images of travel at its most opulent and tragedy at its most dire. The full name of the company was Oceanic Steam Navigation Company or White Star Line of Boston Packets, but was more commonly simply known simply as 'The White Star Line'. Founded here in the UK in 1845, WSL operated a fleet of clipper ships that sailed between Britain and Australia. The White Star Line was bought by Thomas Ismay in 1868. and his son Bruce took over as company director in 1899 after the death of his father. White Star was one of the first shipping lines to offer third Class accommodation, in addition to First and Second Class.

Rather than compete with the smaller and faster liners belonging to its main rival Cunard, White Star concentrated more on comfort and reliability, rather than just speed. This was demonstrated by the innovative Olympic-class liners, Olympic, Britannic and the ill-fated Titanic, all built by the Belfast shipyard of Harland & Wolff. In 1934, White Star merged with its chief rival, Cunard Line and was operated as Cunard-White Star Line until 1950. Subsequently the Cunard Line operated as a separate entity, but since 2005 has become part of part of Carnival Group.

Our modest suitcase is little more than a large hat box and certainly fits the description of 'shabby chic' and judging from the wear shown it is much travelled. Despite this it is however lifted by a number of original and rather special shipping labels. To the handle is attached a fine White Star Line Cabin Class example for the Liverpool Service and further indicating a 'State Room' has been reserved in 'Cabin Class' and the luggage is 'Wanted on the Voyage'. The reverse side has sections for the passengers and steamers name, the room number and the port where the luggage is to be landed as well as the foreign address. If this was ever completed the details have now faded. This label was printed in the USA by Dennison. Beside it is a further WSL sticky label, again printed in the USA, which we believe to date from around 1910 and again confirming the case is wanted on the voyage. This one is named to 'Williams' and the room number appears to be 6B.Sadly the other details we can no longer decipher. This label is pasted over another but we have no clues to its origins.

On the case end is further adhesive 'White Star line Wanted on Voyage' label and again we believe dating to the early 20th century, and pasted over an earlier one below. This has been typed and is named to a 'Derek Williams'. His cabin number on this occasion was 52 and the voyage was booked to Liverpool and his overseas address is shown as 8, John Street, London, W.C.2. Our research indicates its centrepiece was the Royal Terrace, but was subsequently demolished and John Street and Duke Street now form present day John Adam street. In addition to the initials embossed to the top of the case 'A.M.' we have a final label on the handle indicating the case and perhaps its contents was put into store at Bentalls Furniture Depository at Kingston-on Thames on 3rd October 1938. The name on the label is 'Badcock' so a further mystery! Bentalls Department Store and Depository opened in 1932 but the site has now been redeveloped and is the location of 'The Bentalls Centre'.

So you will see despite its shabby appearance this small case is of historical interest, dating back it seems to the early 20th century and clearly has a long and interesting story to tell. It appears appears to be made from a leatherette material which shows significant wear and some staining. The brass lock is still working but the key is missing. The interior is lined with green baize and shows age related wear. Elastic luggage retaining straps are still in place. It measures 17" x 14" x 11" (43 cm x 36 cm x 28 cm). The interest in this item is of course in its shipping labels. It may be possible with further research to establish which WSL ocean liners it sailed on but we will leave that to the next custodian. In the mean time it is nice to find a totally original example that has been put away and untouched for close on the last 80 years - as we say in the trade a genuine 'sleeper'! As with all items on offer feel free to ask for further detailed pictures of the case and its labels.

2725
H.M.T.B. 27 Presentation Item - Click for the bigger picture SoldH.M.T.B. 27 Presentation Item - An attractive EPNS preserve set complete with two glass dishes. To the front of the base is finely engraved HMTB 27, presented to Mr. & Mrs. Enever from Mess Mates, November 1917. While we have no direct provenance, we can only assume Mr. Enever was a crew member of Torpedo Boat 27 in WWI and this was perhaps presented by his crew mates on the occasion of his wedding? The base is stamped EPNS, a maker's mark and the number 5778. The chrome finish shows minor age wear, but overall in extremely nice condition. Torpedo Boat 27 was 127 feet long, weighed 60 tons and built by Thornycroft in 1880. She was sold out of service 2.10.19.
3347
Item 3347 Royal Mail Steam Packet Company Copper Water Jug - Click for the bigger picture SoldItem 3347 Royal Mail Steam Packet Company Copper Water Jug - A fine example clearly embossed to front R.M.S.P. The Royal Mail Steam Packet Company was a British shipping company founded in London in 1839 by a Scot, James MacQueen. The line's motto was 'Per Mare Ubique' meaning 'Everywhere By Sea'. The company had mixed fortunes but by 1927 it became the largest shipping group in the world when it took over the White Star Line (WSL). It was subsequently liquidated and its assets absorbed by the newly formed Royal Mail Lines (RML) in 1932. The companies operations were continued after liquidated by the reformed as the Royal Mail Lines Ltd (RML) and took over the ships of RMSPC and other companies of the former group.

On this basis our jug appears to date from before 1932 with the base stamped with the makers details Henry Wilson and Co Ltd Liverpool. This company were makers of Wilson oil heat boilers and burners, as well as cooking and sterilizing equipment. This firm fitted out major Atlantic ocean-going liners built in the United Kingdom for steam ship companies such as White Star, Cunard, Blue Funnel and Furness Withy. In 1932 they had won the contract to supply the on-board equipment for the "Queen Mary." In February of 1932 the contract for the "Queen Mary" was suspended for a long while and the firm almost closed as a result of the delayed contract and many men lost their jobs.

We bought a pair of these jugs at auction and this is the remaining example, the other already being sold. Sadly the specific provenance of the item has been lost down the years but it would certainly have a story to tell. Condition is excellent but with signs off its life at sea with a small ding in handle but nothing to worry about from a display point of view. Measures 81/2" high (22 cm) and it is 5.75" diameter on the base (15 cm)

Prices in UK Pounds - please see our Terms & Conditions
Use this Currency Converter to find the approximate cost in your currency
Pay securely with your Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, Switch, or Solo through PayPal - see our Terms & Conditions
Ship's Fittings | Ship's Lighting | Instruments & Tools | Miscellaneous
Nautical Stock Archive -  1 | 2 | 3 | [ 4 ] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20
21
Home | Nautical | Aeronautical | News | Press Releases | About Us | Contact Us | Links
FAQ's | Web Log | Search | Site Map | Privacy | Terms & Conditions
Mr Oldnautibits a chantrybarn production