full screen background image
Search Oldnautibits
 
Home > Nautical > Stock Archive Page

Nautical Stock Archive - Page 3

These are some of the SOLD items that have been listed on our website

There are a maximum of 20 items on each page - our most recent sale is listed first - this is now quite a large reference record. If you have a specific interest, use our keyword search to search the entire stock database.


 Pages -  1 | 2 | [ 3 ] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20
21
NewStock NEW STOCK In Stock IN STOCK Featured FEATURED Sold SOLD Sold - similar available SOLD - similar available  
Reference Stock Item   Description
1925
Original Library Key from 'RMS Pendennis Castle' - Click for the bigger picture SoldOriginal Library Key from 'RMS Pendennis Castle' - One of the most famous passenger vessels of the Union Castle Line, she was built by Harland and Wolff as a replacement for the ageing "Arundel Castle". The ship's keel was laid on 8 November 1955 but the following year Union-Castle merged with Clan Line Steamers Ltd. to form British & Commonwealth Shipping Company. The new management decided to enlarge Pendennis Castle whilst under construction and her length was increased by 18ft. "Pendennis Castle" was launched on n 24 December 1957.

"Pendennis Castle", named after the castle of the same name looking over Falmouth bay, served 1959-1976 on a regular route between Southampton to Las Palmas, Cape Town, Port Elizabeth, East London and Durban on what was called "the Cape Mail service". On 23 April 1976 "Pendennis Castle" sailed from Southampton on her final voyage to South Africa. On arrival back in her home port on 14 June 1976 she was withdrawn from service and sold to the Panama registered Ocean Queen Navigation Company and was renamed "Ocean Queen" with the intention to operate her as a cruise ship but this never happened. She was re named Sinbad, then Sinbad I, but she never returned to commercial service and was broken up in Taiwan in 1980.

On offer is an original key with a "Union -Castle" Line paper label attached marked "Pendennis Castle" with information confirming the bookcase to which is related in the ships Tourist Library. We have a total of 8 sets available and all with a Union Castle label attached, which show some ageing. The keys about 2.25" long (6 cm) and show a little rust as you would expect.

These keys would provide a unique addition to an "RMS Pendennis Castle"or a "Union-Castle Line" collection or as a souvenir to passengers or crew who sailed on her. The key and label illustrated here is the one you will receive.

375
Original Cunard/White Star Line steamer Chair - Click for the bigger picture SoldOriginal Cunard/White Star Line steamer Chair - Now these do not turn up very often! On offer is a genuine 'Cunard' embossed vintage steamer chair which we believed dates from the 1930's. The Cunard Line, one of the most famous names in shipping was established 1839 Samuel Cunard, a Halifax shipowner. For most of the next 30 years, Cunard held the Blue Riband for the fastest Atlantic voyage. By the late 1920s Cunard faced new competition from the Germans, Italians and French so in 1934 the British Government offered Cunard loans to finish Queen Mary and to build a second ship, Queen Elizabeth, on the condition that Cunard merged with the then ailing White Star line to form Cunard-White Star Ltd. The Cunard fleet has welcomed the most illustrious members of society on board, and has a guest book which includes everyone from Queen Elizabeth II to Liz Taylor and we can only speculate who may have enjoyed this chair on the sundeck of those Queens of the seas although sadly the provenance of this chair has been lost down the years.

Our steamer in very original condition having been taken back to its original natural wood finish although it has received some light restoration to restore it to display condition. As well as the all-important Cunard branding on the seat back it also carries a brass plaque which would originally have held a name card confirming the passengers entitlement to enjoy it- so no need for any towels to reserve this sun bed from fellow passengers! We believe it is made from oak and is still sound but after all these years it is for sale, like all our stock, as an historical collectable rather than to be used for its intended purpose. A similar but slightly earlier chair, one of the only ones recover from the Titanic disaster, was sold at auction recently for £85,000! The last 'Cunard' branded chair we saw sold on UK e Bay back in 2012 made £200. Our Cunard/White Star Line example is rather more modestly priced so grab yourself a bargain whilst you can!

2652
'The Handy' Man O'War Garden Chair made by H.Castle & Sons - Click for the bigger picture Sold'The Handy' Man O'War Garden Chair made by H.Castle & Sons - Manufactured from teak, this is a campaign style folding garden chair with an oval brass plaque riveted to the back confirming : "THE HANDY (REG) A PORTABLE FOLDING CHAIR MADE FROM TEAK WOOD FROM OLD NAVY SHIPS BROKEN UP H.CASTLE & SONS MILLBANK SW". Shipbreakers Castle & Sons, who were the largest shipbreakers in England in the Victorian period, are still in business today. They started their shipbreaking business at the Baltic Wharf, Millbank on the Thames in 1838. The firm specialized in the breaking up of wooden warships there; Turner's famous painting entitled "The Fighting Téméraire" shows that ship being towed to Castle's yard on her final journey. It was found by Castle's that reclaimed seasoned timbers from decommissioned wooden warship and especially the oak and teak made an source of material for garden furniture. In 1887 the company furnished the grounds of Buckingham Palace for the garden party held in honour of Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee. In addition Castle's supplied the timber that was reused for other purposes including within the store 'Liberties of London' in 1922 when material recovered from the old training ships 'Impregnable' and 'Hindostan' which were been broken up by them on the Thames was 'repurposed'!

Our chair has clearly been painted at least twice during its life and traces of blue and white can be seen giving it the classic shabby chic look so popular today. The chair folds flat for storage purposes and whilst like all out stock is offered for sale as a collectable it remains in remarkably sound condition despite its age and we estimate it probably dates from c. 1910-1920. With some Castle furniture the plaque also confirmed the Naval ship from which the timbers were recovered but in this instance this is sadly not the case but Castle's records indicate a list of the famous ships from which the Men O'War teak built seats were made was extensive and included famous names such as the 'Colossus', 'Galatea', 'Albion', 'Alexandra ', 'Ajax ' 'Apollo' and 'Arethus'. We can only guess at the origins of our ships timber chair but I remains a fine early example of what we would term 'recycling' but today's trendies refer to as 'up cycling'! The chair is of modest proportions measuring 29" to top of back rest (74 cm) and a 16" (41 cm) seat height. Grab this small but beautifully formed piece of Royal Navy history whilst you can!

OC170
Pair of Original Ships 'Onion' Lamps - Click for the bigger picture SoldPair of Original Ships 'Onion' Lamps - A matched pair in totally original condition. Generally referred to as 'onion lamps' for the very obvious similarity with the shape of the vegetable, these were used for a variety of functions on board ship. Those with clear glass were used below decks for cabin lighting or above deck as anchor lamps whilst examples with coloured glass, as here, were used as navigation lamps strung from the rigging. The wire cage surrounding the globes provided a useful function of protecting the glass from damage by sails of flapping cordage.

Whist the history of this pair is now lost we believe they are probably of European and perhaps French or German origin. We surmise this as the original oil burners are still fitted; one is marked 'Reform-Rund Brenner' which was a German manufacturer base in Berlin whilst the other burner is stamped 'Unis, Paris, France'. Interestingly both the globes have been etched with code numbers 'R*49654' and 'R*49655' which may have identified them to the vessel they served on. The lamps are made from galvanised metal finished in gold paint and come complete with suspension loops. It is nice to find a set of original lamps that have the burners with them but it would be a simple job to wire them up for electricity and without the need to damage them by drilling, which sadly has happend on many of the lamps we see.

Interestingly one lamp is stamped into the metal 'T49654' whist the other is marked 'T49655' so no doubt they came out of the factory at the same time and have always remained together and as a result we prefer to sell as a near matched pair rather than selling individually. They are an impressive size standing c. 22" tall including the extended handle (56 cm) and the diameter measured around the cage is about 13" (33 cm). Fine examples of the type on offer at a remarkably modest price!

PC216
Royal Navy 'Sestrel' Marine Compass Mounted on Arm brackets - Click for the bigger picture SoldRoyal Navy 'Sestrel' Marine Compass Mounted on Arm brackets - Discovered in the Naval port of Plymouth, Devon this is a very fine and solidly built marine compass. The edge of the compass, that sits in gimbals, is stamped 'Aft' and below the model number 4176N/6ST.

Interestingly a brass encased lamp holder is mounted above the compass and when illuminated it would have projected a pin prick of light down on the forward lubber line to assist the helmsman on night passage. The lamp is no longer wired although the lamp holder is present and the unit is clearly stamped AP5663 ; AP refers to an Admiralty Pattern hence our deduction this compass was designed for and used on craft of the Royal Navy.

The compass card is generally in very good condition with just some minor paint bubbles to the centre. The card carries the brand name 'Sestrel' indicating it was made by Henry Browne and Son Ltd, of Barking. Henry Browne was born in Lewis, Sussex in 1842 and died in Barking in 1935 and was a respected English manufacturer, making and selling fine quality compasses, ship's clocks, inclinometers, sextants, and chandlery items for over 140 years. The factory was based in Brightlingsea, Essex and moved to Barking in 1929. The Trade Mark brand 'Sestrel' was used on all their equipment. Their "Dead Beat" compass design is well dampened and serves to reduce oscillations and was fitted to many Allied ships during WWII and we believe this may be the origin of this instrument although it is not dated.. The company went through a boom period in the 1970s but collapsed in the 1980s due to the popularity of cheaper plastic compasses over traditional brass examples as ours.

The card swings feely and appears to align to North, although like all our stock is for sale as a collectable item and we can not guarantee its current accuracy. When purchased it was mounted on a totally inappropriate piece of melamine board. This we have had this replaced with a solid piece of marine mahogany which has been salvaged from a small craft. This has been finished in 5 coats of yacht varnish and the brass has all been hand polished, so that it glows and sets off this top quality Naval compass to its best advantage. It has already drawn attention here in our office since it was returned from our restorers and it would sit very happily in a marine collection or environment. The compass face measures 6" diameter (15 cm) whilst the display stand is about 11.5" x 8" (29 cm x 20 cm). Rubber feet are attached to the base.

5053
White Star Line RMS Titanic & Olympic Regent Plate Dish - Click for the bigger picture SoldWhite Star Line RMS Titanic & Olympic Regent Plate Dish - Manufactured by top London maker Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Company of 112, Regent Street and fully stamped to base which confirms its origins. In addition to the quality makers name it is marked 'Regent Ware' and a further stamp reading 'Rd 451002', which stands for the design registration number which with further research indicates it dates from 1904/5. Inside the bowl is the characteristic swallow tail house flag of the White Star Line. Excitingly we found online an original 'Goldsmiths' advertisement that confirms as well as holding a Royal Warrant 'The Companies Regent Plate, as supplied to SS Olympic and Titanic and is the finest substitute in the World for solid silver.' We understand this actual 'Art Nouveau' design was specifically selected by the WSL for use aboard her Olympic Class liners of the period and examples exist featuring the same pattern recovered from the wreck of the Titanic. The design continued in service exclusively on the Olympic Class vessels but in later years it was extended to other ships in the fleet. When WSL and Cunard amalgamated in 1934 many items were re branded 'Cunard White Star' in 1936 and reissued for further service. This did not happen to our dish so seeing the design registration date it is quite possible this served on the Olympic or Britannic.

The dish measures 5.25" diameter (13 cm) and stands 1 1/2" from base to rim (4 cm). The plating is in remarkably good condition with the exception being the inside base which shows wear commensurate with long service. We do not know the intended use but believe this bowl may have been intended for sugar which would explain the scratching to the pate. Another surmise is the design could have been used as a finger bowl but we prefer the first theory. The WSL house flag is in fine condition as are all the manufactures details on the base. Sadly we have no provenance with it other than it turned up at a local antiques fair here in Somerset, South West England. It has almost clearly served afloat and undoubtedly has a story to tell. A fine example of a genuine White Star Line bowl that would have served in the restaurants and of the unique design used aboard the Olympic Class liners including the RMS Titanic and her sister ships RMS Olympic and Britannic.

5147
HMS Courageous Fire Screen - Click for the bigger picture SoldHMS Courageous Fire Screen - Made of varnished timber, the front of the screen is dated 1936-39 and carries an image of the ship's crest and motto "Courageux Et Fougueux". HMS Courageous (pennant no. 50) was built as a cruiser in WWI but was decommissioned post war and rebuilt as an aircraft carrier launched in 1928. She was torpedoed and sunk by U-29 off the coast of Ireland on 17th September, 1939 with the sad loss of her captain and 518 of her crew. We had no provenance with the screen but assume it was made by a member of her crew who served on her between 1936 and 1939 and can only hope he was not one of the hands lost when she sank. Measures 25" x 18" (64 cm x 46 cm)
4549
Early Royal Navy Trenchart Submarine - Click for the bigger picture SoldEarly Royal Navy Trenchart Submarine - Manufactured from scrap brass and is mounted in relief on a hardwood mahogany display board. Sadly we have no information on the hands that made it, or of the submarine which is depicted but in all probability made by an original crew member as a gift. The detail possibly indicates a D class boat which served in WWI but if any visitor to the site can suggest a more accurate identity, please let us know. Board measures 14" x 7" (36 cm x 18 cm)
4037
Royal Navy Trenchart Submarine E44 - Click for the bigger picture SoldRoyal Navy Trenchart Submarine E44 - The sub is manufactured from cast alloy in relief and is mounted on an oval piece of scrap Bakalite or similar material engraved with the submarine designation E44. This submarine was launched in 1916 and was sold out of service in 1921 and we imagine this item was made by a crew member. A fine example of trenchart from the early days of the submarine service.
2560
Shipbuilders Block Model - Click for the bigger picture SoldShipbuilders Block Model - A large an impressive ships hull that was purchased from the closing down sale at Mashfod's ship yard at Cremyll, Cornwall in 2003.

The yard at Cremyll has a long and industrious history being established way back in 1774 and in the period 1779 – 1812 was run by John Parkin and they built 28 vessels including several customs cutters, armed privateer boats and smuggling vessels. The Banks family then took control and from 1823 -1852 they built at least 49 vessels many of them schooners for the fruit trade to the Azores and the Mediterranean. In the period 1875 – 1905 they built the first steamboats, the Armadillo and the Shuttlecock for the Cremyll Ferry in the 1880s; by WWII they received commissions from neighbouring RAF Mountbatten for smaller inshore craft. The Mashford family first leased the yard in 1930 and they soon developed a significant reputation for both quality and design of their wooden boats. During the Second World War some of their work included building small boats for RAF Mount Batten. Mashford Brothers was then acquired by Appledore Shipbuilders in 1999 but their grandiose business plans failed and went into liquidation in 2003 and the assets, including this model, were sold off at auction.

Sadly we have no idea what vessel she represents but was clearly a significant vessel. The hull carries the original grey paint that is showing significant age wear but this reflects the 'chabby chic' look currently favoured by interior designers. We have left it exactly as it came to us but the paint could easily be stripped and the hull waxed and polished but we will leave that decision to the new owners. The deck remains unpainted and carries hatch pencil marks, we assume drawn by the ships architect. We considered for a moment sectioning the model and mounted on appropriate hardwood back it would make not one but two block models but again we prefer to leave it in its original state. It is quite an impressive size measuring 59.5" stem to stern (151 cm), a beam of 9" (23 cm) and she stands 5" from the base of the hull to her deck (13 cm). Despite her history being lost a large and impressive model with loads of display potential.

PC209
Admiralty Pattern Lamp with Metal Shade - Click for the bigger picture SoldAdmiralty Pattern Lamp with Metal Shade - Another lamp we are listing today which originally served with the Royal Navy. It is heavily built in solid brass and is fitted with a metal shade that has been repainted in terracotta to reflect the current demand for industrial themed lighting. In service it would have been bulkhead mounted, but to make it more suited to life ashore we have had a brass base added to the original switch box. It has been professionally rewired using appropriate modern wiring and is fitted with a fused 13 amp plug. The lamp has a ball and socket base to the stem to allow the lamp to be adjusted to suit and it can then be locked in the desired position by tightening the knurled ring. The switch box is marked with the makers name Gabriel & Co Ltd, a brass foundry established 1884 in Birmingham. It carries the Royal Navy Admiralty Pattern part number AP 17010. Gabriels specialised in the manufacture of fittings for ships, tramways, buses and railways and as well as its UK based customers they exported their products to Africa, Asia and South America. It is very solidly built and as such weighs in at an impressive 2.7 kilos (5.8 lbs) so please check for a delivered price before ordering. Measures 16" high (41 cm)
2378
Ale House Tankard - Click for the bigger picture SoldAle House Tankard - Original tankard finely engraved to the front "Ye Olde Boat Inne Alcester." Manufactured in brass, the tankard would have been used in a public house and the engraving would effectively be an early form of property mark to ensure the tankard remained on the premises! It features a hinged lid and the tankard shows minor service wear as you would expect, but overall has great patina and probably dates from the late 19th century.
3570
H.M.C.S. Naming Ceremony Presentation Award - Click for the bigger picture SoldH.M.C.S. Naming Ceremony Presentation Award - This item is in the form of a soap stone whale mounted on a hard wood base which is carved with the inscription "Presented to Lady Thomas on the occasion of the naming of H.M.C.S. Victoria 6th October, 2000." H.M.C.S. Victoria (SSK 876) is a long range Hunter Killer submarine and is named after the city of Victoria in British Columbia. She originally served with the Royal Navy as HMS Unseen (S41), between 1989-2000. The soap stone has been used as a carving material for thousands of years and is widely used in Eskimo art. This whale is particularly nicely executed, although he has a minor chip to the tail fluke and fin, so here is your opportunity to purchase a very unique example of fish and chips! We have no information on Lady Thomas but assume she was probably responsible for the naming of this boat.
2198
Original Boot Hook with Brass Tip - Click for the bigger picture SoldOriginal Boot Hook with Brass Tip - This particularly attractive example features a double hook end and the casting details the name 'Lugline' which we assume was either the maker or the brand name. The pole, which is made from oak, is c. 78" end to end (198 cm) A fine display item or an ideal accessory for the classic boat in your life!
5353
Siebe Heinke Admiralty Pattern Divers Torch Pattern 0563/202927 - Click for the bigger picture SoldSiebe Heinke Admiralty Pattern Divers Torch Pattern 0563/202927 - Siebe Gorman & Co Ltd have manufactured hand-held battery powered submarine electric torches for divers and the British Ministry of Defence since the 1920's. On offer here is another rare and desirable divers torch we are listing today. Back in 1961, perhaps the two most famous names in diving terms C.E.Heinke and Siebe Gorman merged to form a single company. Research indicates that for just a limited period, torches were made under the combined 'SIEBE HEINKE' brand'. In 1968, the maker reverted to their original name with the inscription of SIEBE GORMAN and the AP (Admiralty Pattern) number was dropped in preference for the NATO reference number, as nicely illustrated on item 4910 we have also just listed on the site. This torch therefore is a scarce and desirable example from this brief period of production as it is clearly branded 'SIEBE HEINKE of London'. Below the switch box and located between the top two knurled grip rings it is further engraved A.P.No 0563/202927 and below the date of manufacture 1964. Unlike the later four prong divers torches this model did not carry a leather wrist strap but instead there is a lanyard hole on a curved metal plate on the end of the torch. Stamped into this plate are several Naval acceptance or inspector's marks including a large 'X' and a 'D ', a broad arrow property mark and an' E' with a 'T' below.

Inside the torch has a circular rubber 'o' ring seal that is attached to the lamp reflector rim. The seal also isolates the electrical circuit until the slide switch pushes a metal contactor against the reflector casing to complete the circuit. The three 'D-size', 1.5 volt dry cell batteries are housed in an internal grey painted aluminium sleeve with a straight coil compression spring at the end to hold them firmly in place. This torch is not currently fitted with batteries so we can't warrant if it is still in working order, but the component parts are all complete and it may still function as intended. The rugged, simple construction of all Siebe Gorman Military issue torches enables them to operate within the depth parameters of most normal Royal Navy diving limits and is safe to operate down to 80 meters. The body is made from high quality brass (probably Admiralty or Naval qualities) and most were electroplated in either chrome or nickel. This example retains its original finish and has not been ruined by stripping as often seems to happen with divers torches.

It is in exceptional original condition with just very minor service marks commensurate with use. The torch measures 11" long (28 cm and the diameter of the lens end is 2.75" (7 cm) It weights a hefty 3.6lbs without batteries (1.7 kilos). This is the first example of a 'SIEBE HEINKE of London' variant torch we have ever had in and do not anticipate it will be with us for long. As with all our stock feel free to drop us a mail and request for more photographs so you can check out the detail and specification. This is one not to be missed!

4461
8 Spoke Ships Wheel - Click for the bigger picture Sold8 Spoke Ships Wheel - This is a very sound original example. We believe it to be made from oak and is very solid. It is fitted with a chrome 'lazy handle' so we guess is it may have came from a working boat. The central boss is solid brass (or might even be bronze) and is stamped 15 and on opposite side 1064. A nice touch is the brass acorn on the 12 o'clock spoke used by the helmsman as a guide for straight ahead. This wheel has riveted brass banding front and back although as normal on a working wheel the brass has only been polished on the visible side. The diameter from spoke end to spoke end is 27" (69 cm) so an excellent wall display size. Like all the items offered this is for sale a collectable and we can't guarantee it for its original purpose although it certainly looks strong enough to go back to sea, subject to the necessary checks. The wheel does not carry any makers marks so we have no idea of its origins but estimate it probably dates from the middle of the 20th century. For anyone who has seen the rather nasty replica wheels now flooding the market we can assure you this beauty is in a different league!
5413
Kriegsmarine Blackboard Compass - Click for the bigger picture SoldKriegsmarine Blackboard Compass - A very large instrument manufactured by Dennert & Pape of Hamburg-Altona. The compass also carries a waffenampt property mark, an M and code 1V/1. Constructed from hardwood (possibly beach) with metal fittings and adjustment clamp with a scale from zero to 90 degrees. The bottom left leg of the compass carries a spike and the right arm a locking mechanism for a chalk to be attached. We would assume the instrument would have been used blackboard use either at H.Q. for training purposes in the classroom or possibly for a crew briefing prior to an operation. This is the first example we have seen and would represent an unusual addition to the specialist Kriegsmarine, Nautical or instrument collection. Please also check out the complementary Protractor which we purchased from the same source and which was are listing today. Measures 20.5" (52 cm)
6624
Siebe Gorman London Submarine Emergency Escape Goggles - Click for the bigger picture SoldSiebe Gorman London Submarine Emergency Escape Goggles - These formed an integral part of the Davis Submerged Escape Apparatus, an early type of oxygen rebreather invented in 1910 by Sir Robert Davis, head of Siebe Gorman and Co. Ltd. They were primarily intended as an emergency escape apparatus for submarine crews.

The DSEA rig comprised a rubber re breather bag, an air cylinder containing 56 litres, with the breathing bag connected to a mouthpiece by a flexible corrugated tube for breathing via the mouthpiece, with the nose being closed by a clip. Our goggles, that are in close to mint and we suspect unissued condition, were provided as a standard part of the system. The Davis Submerged Escape Apparatus is believed to be the first re breather to be made in quantity and was adopted by the Royal Navy in 1929 and was used in live situations to assist crew members to escape from several sunken submarines, including HMS Poseidon in 1931, HMS Thetis in 1939 and HMS Perseus in 1941. A smaller version of the DSEA, the Amphibious Tank Escape Apparatus (ATEA) was use by the crews of amphibious DD tanks such as those used during the Normandy landings, many of which foundered before getting to the beaches. Also in WWII the set was notably used by the Underwater Working Party at Gibraltar led by Lt. Lionel "Buster" Crabb, and worn by frogmen piloting 'Sleeping Beauty' Motorised Submersible Canoes.

This set are clearly embossed on the central nose bridge 'Siebe Gorman & Co Ltd Makers London. Where the back strap is attached is marked TR3095 and a B below. In addition inside the right eyepiece the rubber is embossed VOCAB 25366. The orange rubber is in excellent pliable condition with no perishing and the elastic and leather back strap is pristine. The glass lenses are again close to mint with no damage or fogging. This is the first set of these we have had in for 9 years and these are in significantly better condition and impossible to upgrade. Aviation collectors amongst you may well notice the similarity of these to early rubber RFC first pattern flying issue. Grab them whilst you can as when they have gone they are gone!

4767
HMS Hastings Presentation Model Pewter Figurehead - Click for the bigger picture SoldHMS Hastings Presentation Model Pewter Figurehead - The original figurehead, on which this model is based, is now preserved at Merseyside Maritime Museum. HMS Hastings was built in 1818 as an East Indiaman but was bought by the Royal Navy the following year. A 3rd rater of 74 guns, sailors and marines from Hastings fought Chinese pirates at the Battle of Tonkin River in 1849.

In 1855 she was fitted with screw propulsion and joined the fleet in the Baltic. In 1857 the ship was deployed to Liverpool on coastal defence duties before being transferred to the Royal Naval Reserve to be used as a training ship. She was finally broken up in 1886. Her figurehead depicts Francis Rawden-Hastings, 1st Marquis of Hastings (1754-26) in army uniform and the original was acquired and displayed by C.W.Kellock in their Liverpool offices.

C.W. Kellock & Co. was one of the leading merchant ship brokers and owners in Liverpool in the mid-nineteenth century. The company was established in Liverpool in 1820. In 1864 C.W. Kellock greatly expanded his business and opened an office in London under the management of Charles' brother W.B. Kellock. Charles W. Kellock retired from the company and died in 1897 but the business continued to operate under the partnership of his two sons. The Liverpool office was closed in 1972, but the London office is still active today.

Our model has survived remarkably well seeing its 96 years and is cast in pewter and mounted on an ebonized wood base, which shows minor wear commensurate with the items age. It was comissionedd to commemorate the centenary of C.W. Kellock & Co, in 1920. It is assumed these models were presented as a corporate gift to customers and associates of the business. The brass plates on the base reads on the front : 'MODEL OF FIGUREHEAD OF HMS HASTINGS. THE LAST OF THE WOODEN WALLS OF OLD ENGLAND. THE ORIGINAL BEING IN THE LIVERPOOL SHIPPING SALEROOM OF C.W. KELLOCK & CO', The plaque on the revere side is etched :'1820 KELLOCKS CENTENARY 1920' sand 'WITH THE COMPLIMENTS OF C.W. KELLOCK & CO. LONDON & LIVERPOOL.' The model stands 7" high (18 cm) and the ebonised base is 3 1/2" (9 cm) in diameter and is felt covered.

2470
HMS Norfolk Trench Art Spill Holder - Click for the bigger picture SoldHMS Norfolk Trench Art Spill Holder - HMS Norfolk was a County-class heavy cruiser of the Royal Navy and she served with distinction throughout WWII. She was commissioned on 30 April 1930 and served until 1939 when she returned for a refit. At the outbreak of war Norfolk was deployed with the 18th Cruiser Squadron of the Home Fleet, and was involved in the chase for the German small battleships Gneisenau and Scharnhorst, along with the pocket battleship Admiral Scheer.

In the hunt for the Bismark in 1941 Norfolk was the second ship to sight the German battleship. She and her near sister ship Suffolk continued to trail her whilst the cruisers later joined the battleships Rodney and King George V as part of the force that finally sank Bismarck.

Later that year Norfolk was tasked on Arctic Convoys. in 1943 she was in action against the Scharnhorst and scored three hits on the German ship, and received several 11-in shell hits (all passing through the thin-skinned ship without exploding) in return. Scharnhorst was later caught and sunk by the battleship Duke of York and her escorting cruisers and destroyers.

Her luck held and she survived the war and 1949 was placed in Reserve and finally sold for scrapping in 1950. She proudly served for 22 years, in which time she won Battle Honours for ATLANTIC 1941, BISMARCK 1941, NORTH AFRICA 1942, ARCTIC 1943, NORTH CAPE 1943 and NORWAY 1943.

This piece of trench art is nicely worked and fashioned from a brass shell case and whilst the history has been lost it seems likely this was crafted by a crew member and the donor shell was fired from Norfolk. Our research indicates 'Norfolk' was armed with 8 × BL 8 inch Mk VIII guns in twin mounts, 8 × QF 4 inch Mk XVI guns in twin mounts & 16 × QF 2 pdr Mk VIII guns in octuple mounts. Of these the QF 2 pounder seems to align as the bore of our shell case is 40 mil diameter / 1.6".

The item carries an applied HMS Norfolk badge to the front and it sits on a turned hardwood base. The top lip has been attractively fluted and it makes a decorative souvenir from a great ship. It measures 5" tall (13 cm)

Prices in UK Pounds - please see our Terms & Conditions
Use this Currency Converter to find the approximate cost in your currency
Pay securely with your Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, Switch, or Solo through PayPal - see our Terms & Conditions
Ship's Fittings | Ship's Lighting | Instruments & Tools | Miscellaneous
Nautical Stock Archive -  1 | 2 | [ 3 ] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20
21
Home | Nautical | Aeronautical | News | Press Releases | About Us | Contact Us | Links
FAQ's | Web Log | Search | Site Map | Privacy | Terms & Conditions
Mr Oldnautibits a chantrybarn production